Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How often...?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 15 Replies
Do you breastfeed throughout the day? My 4 month nurses every 2 hours. I plan on starting solids when she's about 5 or 6 months. Will she continue to nurse this often once I start?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Solids before 1 are just for fun, and should never be given before 6 months. You should always nurse before offering solids, breastmilk should be the majority of her intake before a year. And yes, more than likely she will nursr less after solids are introduced, but as far as her nursing habits are concerned they are completely normal.

Quoting Octobermom2012:

Do you breastfeed throughout the day? My 4 month nurses every 2 hours. I plan on starting solids when she's about 5 or 6 months. Will she continue to nurse this often once I start?

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM
What Crus-s-mommy said. You always need to nurse before solids to keep baby from forming a preference and to make sure baby is getting the nutrition she needs because solids are really lacking. They have less calories and don't have enough of the vitamins a baby needs.
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

what pp said. My 9 month old isnt on a schedule for nursing. If we are out in the world or doing something fun he forgets about nursing but if we sit at home he likes to graze a lot.

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

My DD is 12 months and nurses at least 8 times a day! At least. We're not weaning anytime soon :D

rHOPEb
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I nurse on-demand.  So....Lil Chunker will nurse some days every 2hrs and then others he will go 5hrs.  I don't really keep a check on it...hahahaha!  He's now almost 8mos and its more spaced out.

You may want to research baby-lead-solids.  I am doing this with my son and its awesome!  Wish I did this with my daughter!  Food is for fun and don't force it.  Your LOs nutrition comes from your milk not the food, so you will nurse before each tasting.  It is highly doubtful that your LO will space out the feeding when you introduce foods.  Introducing foods too soon can cause tummy and sleep issues.  So just be careful.  All kids are different......

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Whenever my son wants to nurse. We don't introduce solids until 6 months.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Solids don't really space feedings... but, as they get older they CAN go longer between since other things will distract them.   One day we were so busy running around that DD didn't ask to nurse for 8 hours!    I was so busy I didn't realize it either until we got home and she was still just happily playing with her toys.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM
My 14 mo old still nurses every 2 hrs if I'm home. They cut back on their own terms. And like Pps said its Not related to solids. Solids shouldn't decrease nursing. Only age/development does.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

My ds is 10 months old and can eat a small bowl of mashed potatoes and carrots and still want to nurse after. It depends on your baby, but before 12 months you still really want her to nurse as much as possible. If you fill her up on solids alone depending on what your feeding she may not get the Vit. & Minerals she needs.

snglemomto1grl
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM

shes ten months and still feed every 2 - 3 hours. (you'll want to nurse after or before u give baby solids). my ped told me that exclusively bf babies don't "need" solids until after six months. And to start with rice cereal after six monts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)