Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cymbalta.

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have been taking Zoloft since my LO was born (he's 14 mo.) but it's just not working for me. Was on cymbalta before pregnancy and it worked great! I'm torn because I don't really want to stop BFing but I want to feel better and have more energy and be a better mom😊. Any thoughts?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Its not recomended. It gets into the breastmilk, and they dont know how it effects the baby. I wouldnt.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
From LactMed:

Summary of Use during Lactation:

Little published information is available on the use of duloxetine during breastfeeding; however, the dose in milk is low and serum levels were low in two breastfed infants. An alternate drug that has been better studied may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant. If duloxetine is required by the mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding. Monitor the infant for drowsiness, adequate weight gain, and developmental milestones, especially in younger, exclusively breastfed infants and when using combinations of psychotropic drugs.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
On a personal note, Zoloft was of no relief for me either. Neither were Paxil or Prozac. I'm always watching these posts to see what success other moms have with the other meds. I've also been so plagued by side-effects while on the meds and withdrawing from the meds that I'm pretty scared to even try anything else. :-/
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I would not wean a 14 mo old to take thhis. I would feel very comfortable continuing to nurse while taking Cymbalta, from what I've read. It appears as though baby would get a miniscule amountt of the drug, if any.

The following information comes from MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale, 2012.  He assigns every drug a lactation risk category:  L1, safest; L2, safer; L3, moderately safe; L4, possible hazardous; and L5, contraindicated. He also lists if a drug has been reviewed and/or approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) for use in nursing mothers.  Possible risks to mother and baby are listed as well as possible effect on milk supply.

For more info you can call Dr. Hale’s InfantRisk hotline at (806) 352-2519

www.infantrisk.org

DULOXETINE (Cymbalta, Ariclaim, Duceten, Xeristar, Yentreve)

Listed as L3, moderately safe; pediatric concerns: Milk levels in one study (6 mothers) are low and the relative infant dose is low. Subsequent study suggests Relative Infant Dose = 0.14% Further, even this is unlikely absorbed, as duloxetine is unstable under acid conditions of the infants stomach.

This drug peaks in the blood/milk at around 6 hours.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

It is an L3 "probably safe".  Honestly...I would take it. From Hale "New data suggest that the milk/plasma ratio is low, and the relative infant dose is low as well.  This is too low to have clinical effects on an infant". 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Quoting mostlymaydays:

On a personal note, Zoloft was of no relief for me either. Neither were Paxil or Prozac. I'm always watching these posts to see what success other moms have with the other meds. I've also been so plagued by side-effects while on the meds and withdrawing from the meds that I'm pretty scared to even try anything else. :-/

I use passionflower capsules since the Zoloft was not clearing from my system. It was making me act like a stupid giddy teenager. PM me if you'd like more information.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Liamsmom1211
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Thank you for the info!!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

From LactMed:

Summary of Use during Lactation:

Little published information is available on the use of duloxetine during breastfeeding; however, the dose in milk is low and serum levels were low in two breastfed infants. An alternate drug that has been better studied may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant. If duloxetine is required by the mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding. Monitor the infant for drowsiness, adequate weight gain, and developmental milestones, especially in younger, exclusively breastfed infants and when using combinations of psychotropic drugs.

Liamsmom1211
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Thanks😊

Quoting IrishIz:

It is an L3 "probably safe".  Honestly...I would take it. From Hale "New data suggest that the milk/plasma ratio is low, and the relative infant dose is low as well.  This is too low to have clinical effects on an infant". 

Liamsmom1211
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Thank you!! 😊

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Personally, I would not wean a 14 mo old to take thhis. I would feel very comfortable continuing to nurse while taking Cymbalta, from what I've read. It appears as though baby would get a miniscule amountt of the drug, if any.

The following information comes from MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS’ MILK by Thomas Hale, 2012.  He assigns every drug a lactation risk category:  L1, safest; L2, safer; L3, moderately safe; L4, possible hazardous; and L5, contraindicated. He also lists if a drug has been reviewed and/or approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) for use in nursing mothers.  Possible risks to mother and baby are listed as well as possible effect on milk supply.

For more info you can call Dr. Hale’s InfantRisk hotline at (806) 352-2519

www.infantrisk.org

DULOXETINE (Cymbalta, Ariclaim, Duceten, Xeristar, Yentreve)

Listed as L3, moderately safe; pediatric concerns: Milk levels in one study (6 mothers) are low and the relative infant dose is low. Subsequent study suggests Relative Infant Dose = 0.14% Further, even this is unlikely absorbed, as duloxetine is unstable under acid conditions of the infants stomach.

This drug peaks in the blood/milk at around 6 hours.

Liamsmom1211
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Thanks for the input 😊

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Its not recomended. It gets into the breastmilk, and they dont know how it effects the baby. I wouldnt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)