Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

In tears because of concerns. Really need answers

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 26 Replies
I'm going to be exclusively breast feeding. (I'm currently 31 weeks pregnant) but I'm very concerned about the fact that I am diagnosed severely depressed, severe anxiety, bi polar, separation anxiety, and clincly paranoid(badly). And right now I'm only on vistaril prescribe by my obgyn. I was on meds before I was pregnant. I need to go back on medication after I have this baby but I need to breastfeed too. I know there are some meds you can be on while breastfeeding but I'm worried about how well it's going to work out. Please please don't comment if your going to judge. I'm looking for encouraging words and advice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorraine2674
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:35 PM
There seem to be a lot of breast feeding safe meds out there. Lactmeds is a good website. Good luck and big hugs momma!!
SweetOrangeMama
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I don't have any advice other than be very careful of what meds they put you on while nursing. Congrats on the baby & the best of luck to you!
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

What meds were you on?  Ideal situation to go back on all the same meds?   Give me a list of the meds...some may be safe and not an issue.  If something is an issue we can probably come up with alternatives.  If there aren't safe meds and you need your meds...it is okay to have other feeding options.  Your desire to breastfeed already says a lot of good stuff about you.  

Radellia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I think that it is really great that you plan on EBFing! Ultimately though, if you are unable to find a safe med for BFing, please consider your options and what ultimately would be best for your health!

Here's a bump, hopefully someone knows of a safe med!
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
3 moms liked this

FYI...vistaril is better during breastfeeding than pregnancy!  It's an L1....doesn't get any better.  So that's one med that you can keep if you want. 

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Here's the Kellymom page about antidepressants while nursing.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02/

Sorry it's not clicky. There are a few meds that are breastfeeding friendly!
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

The decision about continuing breastfeeding when the mother takes a drug is far more involved than whether the baby will get any in the milk. It also involves taking into consideration the risks of not breastfeeding, for the mother and the baby. And there are plenty of risks in not breastfeeding, so the question essentially boils down to:  Does the addition of a small amount of medication to the mother’s milk make breastfeeding more hazardous than exclusive formula feeding? The answer is almost never. Breastfeeding with a little drug in the milk is almost always safer. Dr, Jack Newman http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-B-M

For more info you can call Dr. Hale’s InfantRisk hotline at (806) 352-2519

www.infantrisk.org

Irishlz already confirmed that you can stay on the vistaril.

collinsmommy gave you a great link, making it clicky:

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02/

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Have you looked into encapsulating your placenta?  It worked great on equalizing my emotions after birth, but I'm not sure that it's for everyone.  (It IS, however, safe for breastfeeding!)

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM
This!!! I encapsulated with ny third. I had anxiety during the pregnancyvand after, but after the baby was born i did notice a difference when i was using the capsules.

And also, there are many safe meds to take while breastfeeding, as said above.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Have you looked into encapsulating your placenta?  It worked great on equalizing my emotions after birth, but I'm not sure that it's for everyone.  (It IS, however, safe for breastfeeding!)

sissy852
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM
i just wanted to say congrats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)