Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Paper cut nipples.

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

Lately when I feed Lily It feels like paper cuts on my nipples. I am ebf and I called the doctor and she said its a yeast infection. I have a hard time believeing this she doesn't have any white spots and my nips are not itching. They called me in a prescription ,but said I need to pump and dump I told them not possible she is EBF . She is allergic to formulA and won't take a bottle does anyone know a natural way to get rid of this? Also could it be something else I'm in pain! LoL my baby is 10 1/2 months old. 

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
You do not need to have white bumps to have thrush. You can treat with Gentian violet which can be purchased OTC, look up guidelines for treatment at kellymom.com, also you can apply sesame paste or plain yogurt to your nipples and soak them in 1c of warm water with a TBS of vinegar before and after feedings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma1013
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I had that w/ DS a few months ago and actually had little cuts. I figured out from this group it was due to him clenching when he was teething. I actually had little cuts a few days after it started. I used nipple butter between feelings. I had to re-work his latch too. I started using a pillow again to get him level to my nips so he wasn't pulling them down at all. Then, I made sure his head was tilted upward to prevent some of the clenching. My nips even hurt between feelings. I also had friction blisters! It was a difficult two weeks! Hope that helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM
It could be something else, but sounds like yeast infection to me, We had thrush twice and it started out the way you describe each time. Are you noticing any other syptoms?
nolazimmer
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My nipples are pink and a little swollen on the right side.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

It could be something else, but sounds like yeast infection to me, We had thrush twice and it started out the way you describe each time. Are you noticing any other syptoms?

nolazimmer
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Hmm this could be possible. She has our teeth, but she ebf and we haven't changed the way she latches I will keep an eye on though. What nipple butter did u use? How did you know it was cuts?

Quoting momma1013:

I had that w/ DS a few months ago and actually had little cuts. I figured out from this group it was due to him clenching when he was teething. I actually had little cuts a few days after it started. I used nipple butter between feelings. I had to re-work his latch too. I started using a pillow again to get him level to my nips so he wasn't pulling them down at all. Then, I made sure his head was tilted upward to prevent some of the clenching. My nips even hurt between feelings. I also had friction blisters! It was a difficult two weeks! Hope that helps!

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM
These two are also common thrush symptoms...

Quoting nolazimmer:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

nolazimmer
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM

How would I know if I had thrush. My LO has not been on antibiotics. Also have you ever had a pharmacist Telly not take the prescription. She said ia dose could go to the baby. Ahhh I don't know what to do.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Quoting nolazimmer:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

1stpreggers
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

maybe virgin,organic coconut oil.

nolazimmer
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Thank you. Where can I get that?

Quoting 1stpreggers:

maybe virgin,organic coconut oil.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM
You don't need to have been on antibiotics to get a yeast infection, candida thrives in moist environments i.e: lactating nipples. Again check kellymom.cim for causes of thrush. Also its most likely. the antibiotics prescribed for you are safe while breastfeeding, but doctors and pharmacists are uneducated in this area and advise against taking any meds while nursing. as a precaution for themselves . You can look up your medicine on lactmed.com to see if its safe and/or call the infant risk hotline.

Quoting nolazimmer:

How would I know if I had thrush. My LO has not been on antibiotics. Also have you ever had a pharmacist Telly not take the prescription. She said ia dose could go to the baby. Ahhh I don't know what to do.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Quoting nolazimmer:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)