Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm wanting to introduce the bottle

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 58 Replies
But I'm scared he won't want me anymore. I love nursing my son, but I'm thinking of pumping and using a bottle if we were to need it. My mom has kept all her grand babies over night since they were little, so far mine hasn't gone yet, I don't want to use a bottle all the time, just if my mom would want to take him, or an emergency. Will he not want to bf if i do this??

*** I'm not asking for opinions on whether its good or not to let MY son stay the night. I don't need anyone to bash for me that, I will do as I please, as you do with your children. I am simply asking on what could happenif he starts taking a bottle. Will he continue to nurse, will he not want me anymore, I just needed to know what has happened with other moms that give bottles.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KJH78
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter always preferred me so the bottle didn't mess that up and she took 3-4a bottles everyday @a daycare.
tennisgal
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My ds (3 months) refuses a bottle as well. DH tried giving him one the other night while I took another DS on a "date" and I had to rush home b/c he refused to eat and bawled without stop for like an hour while DH tried to entice him to take the bottle. He hasn't had a bottle since he was in NICU at birth but I also don't want him to absolutely refuse one either if a situation arises. 

momsince04
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Did she take it right away? Did you dry up or have trouble with your supply??

Quoting KJH78:

My daughter always preferred me so the bottle didn't mess that up and she took 3-4a bottles everyday @a daycare.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM
How old is your baby? Also, look up the article on bottlefeeding the breastfed baby from kellymom.com. Lots of information there that you'll want to give your caregivers. Also, you cannot be in the house when the bottle is given--someone else has to do it.
momsince04
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM
He is 6 weeks.. And it would only be if there is an emergency or when he goes with my mom over night. I don't want him to have it all the time.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

How old is your baby? Also, look up the article on bottlefeeding the breastfed baby from kellymom.com. Lots of information there that you'll want to give your caregivers. Also, you cannot be in the house when the bottle is given--someone else has to do it.

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys both had bottles of pumped milk within the first couple of days because I got so insanely sore I had to take a break for a day from actually nursing, give my nipples a break and then resume the next day. I never had a problem with nursing either of them. The first went until he was one, the second to fourteen months. And my first, I had to go back to work at six weeks and so my husband had to give him bottles of pumped milk at night and I pumped at work. Never an issue.

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

YDD never took a bottle in my presence.  She'd take them from other people, though.  ODD took bottles from me, but she always kept looking in the general direction of a boob.  The routine was one bottle of pumped milk a week from 6 weeks until they learned to use a cup.  This was mostly so they'd remember how to use a bottle on drill weekends.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this

IMO, there is absolutely no reason for a BF baby under the age of 1 to spend the night away from mom, barring some kind of emergency.  It doesn't matter that your DS is the only grandchild who has never spent the night with her.  A bottle here and there should be fine, but also be prepared for him not to take one.  Neither of my boys would ever take a bottle.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

OMGosh!  He is way too young to spend a night away.

Quoting momsince04:

He is 6 weeks.. And it would only be if there is an emergency or when he goes with my mom over night. I don't want him to have it all the time.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

momsince04
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Why is bad if he spends the night? How Will That harm him?

Quoting jackiewal10:

IMO, there is absolutely no reason for a BF baby under the age of 1 to spend the night away from mom, barring some kind of emergency.  It doesn't matter that your DS is the only grandchild who has never spent the night with her.  A bottle here and there should be fine, but also be prepared for him not to take one.  Neither of my boys would ever take a bottle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN