Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
My baby is 9 weeks old and only breast fed, well he has quit pooping... he poops every 2 days... is this normal... he is on breathing treatments for bronchilitis and possibly have asthma
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:42 AM
A baby can get all their Vit. D from a few mins outside a day, supplementation is (general) never needed. Also while breastmilk doesn't meet the required amount, it does contain vitamin D as well.

Quoting snglemomto1grl:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

True!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Also, no vitamins are needed. Human milk is the perfect food for human babies. I would discontinue the vitamins. They can constipate, especially if they have iron in them.

they need vit d after a month to prevent rickets.

TTC2Long
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this
My ds went from pooping 4-7 times a day to once every 7-12 days. Both ends of the spectrum are normal! :)
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:22 AM
I also live in northern MI, my son has never been supplemented nor needed to be, nor any other children in my family. Our bodies can store up enough vit. D in the warmer season to get us through the colder months and even in the dead of winter, we can get adequate exposure to the sun.
True about pediatritions, they all usually have something different to say.

Quoting snglemomto1grl:

i live in mi lol its either really hot or really cold lol. my one ped kept writng me a scrip for multis so ijust bought the enfamil vit d drops, it's really all she needed at that point. since switching, this one only has me give her what she needs now that she's ten months. so many pediatricians are all about money rather than the child :/ than each one tells you different. sometimes it makes me feel like I'm crazy for trying to have a healthy child.

Quoting shortyali:

Usually it's after 6 months and they need to go out side for about 15-20 minutes a few times a week. No need for artificial vitamins.

Quoting snglemomto1grl:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

True!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Also, no vitamins are needed. Human milk is the perfect food for human babies. I would discontinue the vitamins. They can constipate, especially if they have iron in them.

they need vit d after a month to prevent rickets.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this
The Karo Syrup carries the risk of botulism. Never give to a baby, even if truly constipated with hard stools.

By 9-12 weeks each of my 4 went from pooping at every nursing session to only once every 3-10 days. Shocked me every time but this is normal.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:28 AM
Karo syrup has been shown to carry botchulism (sp). It's really not recommended anymore. And signs of constipation are actually passing small hard dry pellets, not lack of poop which is perfectly normal at this age.

Quoting Meghan6391:

Thank you. I am on the edge of giving him a little syrup to help him poop. My oldest was ff and they told me to do that if he couldn't poop

Quoting aimhawk:

I don't know, then. DS pooped normally at first, then it changed as he got older and like I said he pooped like once every two weeks. But he never seemed to be uncomfortable. Some of these other ladies will have great advice for you! So, bump and I hope he feels better!

Quoting Meghan6391:

Nope. The only thing different is they put him on vitamins... but i wouldn't think that would cause constipation

Quoting aimhawk:

Have you changed something in your diet?

Quoting Meghan6391:

He was pooping every time but that just stopped. He is very cranky now as well and its scary how much i can function on no sleep

Quoting aimhawk:

My son  pooped once every two weeks, there is less waste  breastmilk.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Yup doesn't say need vit d. Says it is very rare basically heaven forbid one baby get something we have to treat an entire population. I prefer to treat my baby as an individual rather than treating him based on a recommendation developed because of factors that have nothing to do with with our household.

He's a little white boy in PA. He's probably more likely to get struck b lightening than get rickets.

OP...the vitamins may be constipating. Unless you have major risk factors for rickets I'd skip them. No karo syrup. And breastfed babies can poop infrequently and be very normal.

Quoting snglemomto1grl:

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/vitamin_D.htm

Meghan6391
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I was meaning maple syrup... i dont even have karo lol 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Karo syrup has been shown to carry botchulism (sp). It's really not recommended anymore. And signs of constipation are actually passing small hard dry pellets, not lack of poop which is perfectly normal at this age.

Quoting Meghan6391:

Thank you. I am on the edge of giving him a little syrup to help him poop. My oldest was ff and they told me to do that if he couldn't poop

Quoting aimhawk:

I don't know, then. DS pooped normally at first, then it changed as he got older and like I said he pooped like once every two weeks. But he never seemed to be uncomfortable. Some of these other ladies will have great advice for you! So, bump and I hope he feels better!

Quoting Meghan6391:

Nope. The only thing different is they put him on vitamins... but i wouldn't think that would cause constipation

Quoting aimhawk:

Have you changed something in your diet?

Quoting Meghan6391:

He was pooping every time but that just stopped. He is very cranky now as well and its scary how much i can function on no sleep

Quoting aimhawk:

My son  pooped once every two weeks, there is less waste  breastmilk.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM
It is also possible for maple syrup to carry botulism, honey as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)