Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
My baby is 9 weeks old and only breast fed, well he has quit pooping... he poops every 2 days... is this normal... he is on breathing treatments for bronchilitis and possibly have asthma
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
MomtoSloan
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM

My daughter had a bm after five or so days and was really fussy leading up to it.  I took out dairy, then soy, then eggs around when she was two months old and she went back to her normal bm schedule.  She is now two and has allergies to eggs and dairy and soy intolerance.  Trust your instincts, if your baby is more fussy try adjusting your diet, you will know within a couple days if it is making a difference.  Oh, and her bms weren't hard, they were like a giant blow out but it was still classified as constipation because she couldn't go every day or two.  Best of luck to you!!

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, not constipation. Constipations is defined as passing small hard, dry pellets. I have a breastfed baby who gets true constipations. Hard, dry blockages. It's debilitating, painful and nothing I would ever want to wish on anyone.

Straining, not going daily, crying are not signs of constipation. Not going for a few days ten having a major blow out is completely normal for a breast fe baby.

Quoting MomtoSloan:

My daughter had a bm after five or so days and was really fussy leading up to it.  I took out dairy, then soy, then eggs around when she was two months old and she went back to her normal bm schedule.  She is now two and has allergies to eggs and dairy and soy intolerance.  Trust your instincts, if your baby is more fussy try adjusting your diet, you will know within a couple days if it is making a difference.  Oh, and her bms weren't hard, they were like a giant blow out but it was still classified as constipation because she couldn't go every day or two.  Best of luck to you!!

jlr09092006
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
When my daughter was about 6 weeks old she went 14 days without pooping. She wasn't cranky or anything. I even had her at the dr and he checked her stomach and said she was fine. I was so worried though! But man, when she went, she WENT! She never really pooped that often. It was usually every few days or so. She is 2 now, still nurses, and still doesn't always go every single day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meghan6391
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM
it just freaks me out i guess. My oldest has to take medicine every morning in his juice to help him poop once in a while. They aren't sure why he can't poop we have been to the er 2 times and his drs numerous times bc he gets sooo backed up he is throwing up. Hes almost 4

Quoting jlr09092006:

When my daughter was about 6 weeks old she went 14 days without pooping. She wasn't cranky or anything. I even had her at the dr and he checked her stomach and said she was fine. I was so worried though! But man, when she went, she WENT! She never really pooped that often. It was usually every few days or so. She is 2 now, still nurses, and still doesn't always go every single day.
Mitzi31
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Lol, I know it sounds crazy and people who don't or haven't EBF will think it's crazy but that's totally normal. My dd has went 12 days without pooping. They break down breast milk differently so there's less waste. That's why it's hard to argue that anything else is better. The use all the nutrients in BM. I've just started DD on some solids and she poops about every 2 days depending on how much I feed her. It's usually very small amounts but it's beginning to be a little more solid now. My mom has always thought something was wrong with dd but there's not. She never BF so she has no idea. It's just natural for us all to think that anyone including babies should poop everyday but when you give them perfect food they don't have much waste. :-)

Mitzi31
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM

lol my dd is the same way and yeah.. when she goes.... se Goes!! lol. I usually have to end up giving her a bath afterwards. One time I had to give myself a bath too, :-) Ah, the joys of motherhood, ;-).

Quoting jlr09092006:

piwife
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Is normal for bf babies not to poop often, as long as baby is passing gas, soft belly don't worry. I also check the vit for iron. That can cause constipation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalplus1
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM

What she said, Iron can cause constipation.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Also, no vitamins are needed. Human milk is the perfect food for human babies. I would discontinue the vitamins. They can constipate, especially if they have iron in them.

lesliepeck
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM

totally - although it doesn't seem like it.  my dd started that at 6 wks!  and when she did poop they were blowouts!  lasted til she started getting some baby food last month.  now she poops normally once a day sometimes twice and no more blowouts.  she is 6 m old.

Sunshine71980
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Very normal!  My brother would only poop once a week and my DD went 10 days once without a single poop!  Of course she filled up the diaper and then some when she did finally go.  After that she settled into pooping every 3-4 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)