Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
My baby is 9 weeks old and only breast fed, well he has quit pooping... he poops every 2 days... is this normal... he is on breathing treatments for bronchilitis and possibly have asthma
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Replies (41-46):
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM
When my daughter first went from a few times a day to every 3rd day, she was fussier. But then she got used to it. She's 6 months now and goes just about everyday.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomtoSloan
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Constipation is different kinds of bms, but basically difficulty in having one.  Within two days of going off dairy my nursing baby was so happy all the time, and had a couple bms a day.  If you have a fussy baby that escalates closer to when they have a bm, it's definitely a digestive thing.  It doesn't have to be hard pellets.  Ped said she was def constipated and I was using miralax w water until I figured out the diet thing which helped tremendously with colic too.

Quoting BridgetMc:

Nope, not constipation. Constipations is defined as passing small hard, dry pellets. I have a breastfed baby who gets true constipations. Hard, dry blockages. It's debilitating, painful and nothing I would ever want to wish on anyone.

Straining, not going daily, crying are not signs of constipation. Not going for a few days ten having a major blow out is completely normal for a breast fe baby.

Quoting MomtoSloan:

My daughter had a bm after five or so days and was really fussy leading up to it.  I took out dairy, then soy, then eggs around when she was two months old and she went back to her normal bm schedule.  She is now two and has allergies to eggs and dairy and soy intolerance.  Trust your instincts, if your baby is more fussy try adjusting your diet, you will know within a couple days if it is making a difference.  Oh, and her bms weren't hard, they were like a giant blow out but it was still classified as constipation because she couldn't go every day or two.  Best of luck to you!!

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Totally normal.  Our pedi told me it was okay for breastfed babies to go up to 10 days without pooping because breastmilk is just so perfect there's very little waste.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM

NO more of the vitamins..if you feel baby needs Vit D then get Carlsons brad drops...the mulivits and ones made by formula companies ruin the virgin gut and THAT would be why baby is NOT pooping!

mamabens
by Miranda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Peds don't always know what they're talking about.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Constipation?s=t

a condition of the bowels in which the feces are dry and hardenedand evacuation is difficult and infrequent.
Quoting MomtoSloan:

Constipation is different kinds of bms, but basically difficulty in having one.  Within two days of going off dairy my nursing baby was so happy all the time, and had a couple bms a day.  If you have a fussy baby that escalates closer to when they have a bm, it's definitely a digestive thing.  It doesn't have to be hard pellets.  Ped said she was def constipated and I was using miralax w water until I figured out the diet thing which helped tremendously with colic too.

Quoting BridgetMc:

Nope, not constipation. Constipations is defined as passing small hard, dry pellets. I have a breastfed baby who gets true constipations. Hard, dry blockages. It's debilitating, painful and nothing I would ever want to wish on anyone.

Straining, not going daily, crying are not signs of constipation. Not going for a few days ten having a major blow out is completely normal for a breast fe baby.

Quoting MomtoSloan:

My daughter had a bm after five or so days and was really fussy leading up to it.  I took out dairy, then soy, then eggs around when she was two months old and she went back to her normal bm schedule.  She is now two and has allergies to eggs and dairy and soy intolerance.  Trust your instincts, if your baby is more fussy try adjusting your diet, you will know within a couple days if it is making a difference.  Oh, and her bms weren't hard, they were like a giant blow out but it was still classified as constipation because she couldn't go every day or two.  Best of luck to you!!

BabyFruit Ticker

mylovey
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Yes, that is. Fin will go 4-7 days without pooping. When he does though..... watch out, lol.

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN