• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Caffeine!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:48 AM
  • 28 Replies

So, I have a heart arrythmia and stopped consuming caffeine about 10 years ago.    Just recently, I've become comfortable having it in small amounts again... but I noticed that my DD (now 8 mo) seemed to sleep poorly on the nights I had it.   So, I stopped.  

Yesterday, I was exhausted... I've had a cold and have been lying awake at night, plus DD being uncomfy and keeping me up... and I was just tired, and when I get tired, I get migraines... so, I made a mocha with maybe 1/4cup coffee, plus sugar, chocolate and milk... and took some advil.   It worked!!  BUT, DD slept horribly... Couldn't lay her down at all, she just kept waking up every 20 minutes, and it didn't dawn on me until today that it must have been that small amount of coffee.   

Amazing what effect that stuff can have for some kids!!  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I feel like it tanks my supply, but that's the only effect I've noticed when I indulge.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:02 AM

It's interesting, because living in the Pacific NW where drinking coffee is like breathing air, I've never noticed a problem with it. . . but I also drank it while pregnant.  On the other hand, friends of mine back home (MN) who drink little to no coffee and majorly cut back on caffeine in general while pregnant have all said that even a little bit has a bad effect on their nurslings.  I've come to the conclusion that, for better or worse, drinking caffeine in moderation while pregnant means having a baby who tolerates caffeine while nursing.

ali840
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Baby's body can't metabolize caffeine. Caffeine stays in our bodies about 4 hrs. It stays in baby's body for about 96 hrs. I LOVE coffee, but it's not worth it to me. I refrain from even decaf while nursing, as hard as it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:38 AM
Crazy, I don't drink much caffiene. It doesn't have an effect on me.... coffee and tea put me to sleep, but all warm drinks seem to make me sleepy. When I used to drinnk soda, I. could have two cans at least right before bed and go right to sleep without a hitch. Whenever I've had caffeine while BFing, its never seemed to affect DS either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cabsmom10
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:49 AM
My son is 14 months old, and I just now realized that he was waking up every hour because of the Coke I would drink during the day. I recently cut out my one coke during the day (trying to watch my weight) and would just drink my morning coffee. Well Declan started sleeping great, woke up every 4 hours and it just dawned on me when I caved and had a coke the other day (he got up every hour), that it was the caffine that kept him up!! Ouch, I wish I would have known that months and months ago!! LoL
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:21 AM
3 moms liked this
None of my 4 had adverse reactions to any coffee I drank. Thank God. ;-)
tigerlily75
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM
i have my cup of 1/2 half coffee every morning and i try to limit my caffeine the rest of the day but i do like to have a piece of chocolate during the day esp if its a bad/crazy day my dd still naps about 4 hrs a day
mylovey
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this
This..... :-)

Quoting mostlymaydays:

None of my 4 had adverse reactions to any coffee I drank. Thank God. ;-)
SadieJames
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I wonder if there is a correlation to coffee during pregnancy then reaction afterwards or it's just anecdotal.  I drank 2 cups of coffee a day pregnant and now drink the same nursing and dd shows no signs of reaction. She usually naps after that session....

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

It's interesting, because living in the Pacific NW where drinking coffee is like breathing air, I've never noticed a problem with it. . . but I also drank it while pregnant.  On the other hand, friends of mine back home (MN) who drink little to no coffee and majorly cut back on caffeine in general while pregnant have all said that even a little bit has a bad effect on their nurslings.  I've come to the conclusion that, for better or worse, drinking caffeine in moderation while pregnant means having a baby who tolerates caffeine while nursing.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM
My anecdotal contribution ;-), I give up coffee during my pregnancies but drink 1-4 cups a day starting with the first morning after the birth. And my babies have shown no particular change from when I've had coffee versus when I've given up coffee.

My thought is that some people and babies metabolize differently. My mom, my sister and I can drink a pot of coffee and fall asleep on the couch a half hour later. Other people bounce off the walls for a day after a cup of half-caf. Even as my kids have gotten older and had sugar and soda, I've never seen them have crazy energy spikes while other parents note that their kids get wired.

Quoting SadieJames:

I wonder if there is a correlation to coffee during pregnancy then reaction afterwards or it's just anecdotal.  I drank 2 cups of coffee a day pregnant and now drink the same nursing and dd shows no signs of reaction. She usually naps after that session....

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)