Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

the occasional bottle?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM
  • 11 Replies

When Eva was 2 weeks old she had a bottle (well, actually 2 in one day, back to back). She didn't get offered another one until she was near 7 weeks old. She refused. She screamed and cried and her grandma got very flustered (i was no where near). Eventually she took one ounce and then fell asleep.

... We tried again about a week after that and she refused.

Are there any tips to encouraging her to take the bottle? I already know i shouldn't be home. And for awhile we thought the flow was too slow since she's used to my OAL. But she won't even latch.

I don't work so it's not a big deal, but I would like to go out occasionally. She's 10 weeks old now.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:55 AM

When she's truly hungry she'll take it. It's pretty common for them to refuse till mom gets home, and that puts them in no danger at all.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:58 AM

If she's hungry enough she'll eat it, maybe try a few different nipple types? My middle son was very picky and would only use the big fat avent nipples.

outstandingLove
by Cheri on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Quoting Zazayam:

If she's hungry enough she'll eat it, maybe try a few different nipple types? My middle son was very picky and would only use the big fat avent nipples.

Where did you find those nipples? We have avent bottles and have been using their nipples but haven't been able to find the wide avent nipples in any stores. We recently bought a playtex nipple but haven't tried it yet.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Ehhh... This was 8 years ago, but walmart and I *think* target had them then, sorry :)

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting Zazayam:

Where did you find those nipples? We have avent bottles and have been using their nipples but haven't been able to find the wide avent nipples in any stores. We recently bought a playtex nipple but haven't tried it yet.

MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM

If you go out for a few hours she doesn't need a bottle. Just come home and nurse.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:22 AM
As time goes on she can go longer periods of time without a bottle if she refuses to take it. I would try a sippy cup. I used the fast nipple the first time we had trouble getting him to take it. I switched it back halfway through the bottle while my husband was burping him. There are a few tricks like that, or you could buy a bucket of different bottles, but it just seems easier to only stay out for a few hours. She won't let herself starve to death.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Try alternative ways like a spoon, syringe, open cup, or a sippy without the valve (i have the playtex kind)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tigerlily75
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:53 AM

if shes hungry enough she should take it. but if your only gone a couple hrs dont worry about it

Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My son likes the nipples on the Similac bottles.  I received one free from the clinic before I had him. But I am very lucky he will drink from anything. Good luck.

B1Bomber
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Both my sons like the WalMart nipples...they're not as skinny or flexible as the EvenFlo ones, or as wide as the Playtex Ventairs, kind of in the middle (and the bottles are only 97 cents!).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)