Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

will me bfing my ds keep him from catching my cold.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:19 AM
  • 11 Replies
i have a bad sore throat and i am worried about my baby getting it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Duquesne
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this
It will definitely help him fight it off! He's getting the antibodies that your mature immune system is making specifically to fight the cold you have, in turn helping him fight it off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this
And you, d3, c, honey and lemon tea....stat. Feel better soon.
mylovey
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Maybe.... Breast milk is pretty awesome. My breastfed baby has had so many colds though, I can't even count. I have another child in school,and she shares it with Finley, lol.
mamabens
by Miranda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM

It might but if nothing else it will keep it from getting as bad as it would if you didn't nurse. 

Emeraldmama7
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM

My kids and I just got over being sick.  My 5 month old did end up getting the flu, but she only had it for a fraction of the time we did and it wasn't as severe.  Also, I don't know if it's a coincidence or not- but the children that I breastfed longer seem to have better immune systems than my kids who weaned earlier. 

Jessa, mama to:

Alyssa(11), Autumn(10), Mariah(9), Matthew(9), Blake(7), Laila(3), and Athena born 9/14!!!

Sprtam
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:59 AM
I was just about to post this exactly topic. I'm up miserable with the same thing as I'm hold my ds wondering if this terrible cough is going to pass him my germs. Bump
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM

My son got it and gave it to me lol. Im sick right now and so is he, I think it helps but it isnt a garentee 

outstandingLove
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Baby and i both caught a cold. She got over it faster than everyone else tho.

Radellia
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM
I had a cold my last couple weeks of pregnancy and still wasn't over it his first couple weeks here... His pedi told me he's MUCH less likely to catch anything while breastfeeding!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM

When you're sick, it's VITAL to continue breastfeeding. Baby is already as exposed as possible to your germs just by sharing your space. If you don't breastfeed, then you deprive baby of the antiobodies needed to protect him, making him MORE susceptible, not only to getting sick but to getting even SICKER than if you had breastfed him all along.

So yes, he can still get sick whether or not you breastfeed him. But NOT breastfeeding is pouring gasoline on the fire of his illness, while breastfeeding works to put the fire out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)