Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how long do you leave your milk in the fridge?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:26 AM
  • 11 Replies

I work mon-thurs and wondered if it would be ok to leave Thursdays milk in the fridge for Monday? I had read most use frozen on Mondays and then each day after use the pumped milk from the day before, I just hate to freeze it for a few days but technically it would be refrigerated 4 days and what I have read is 3 days storage in fridge. wanted to see what other moms do.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:14 AM
I don't leave mine any longer than 3 days if I can avoid it. It tastes funny if I leave it longer. What I do for Monday is I only leave 1/2 of what I'll need in the fridge and pump once each day of the weekend. Most of the time I end up putting what I reserved for Monday in the freezer for my donor baby.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:21 AM
I try not to leave it longer than 3 days but you *can* leave it up to 8 according to kellymom.com
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM
I would be comfortable leaving Thursdays milk for Monday.
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I keep for no longer than 7 days. I make sure I have enough for the next day (3 4oz bottles). On Friday I still keep the bottles I pumped on Friday for Monday in the fridge. Everything else gets frozen. Sometimes the sit a few days in the fridge before I freeze them. Depends on how busy I am. Frozen milk needs to be used within 24 hours of defrosting.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Yes, it's okay to leave milk in the refrigerator for up to 8 days. I was also off on Fridays when I pumped and always used Thursdays milk for Monday. It's more beneficial for baby to use that milk than it is to use frozen milk.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Its perfectly fine. Breastmilk can be safely stored in the fridge for up to 8 days. I just rotated out my older frozen milk, I had so much that I had to freeze it all. Really its up to you. :-)
Journeysmama11
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM

4 is usually my max. But Kellymom.com is a great source for storing breastmilk! :)

bear.katten
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Its good for 7 days. I just always smell mine first! If I'm not sure I'll taste it, no way I'm going to accidentally give my son bad milk!!
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Refrigerated Milk (Store at back, away from door)
Refrigerator (fresh milk) 32-39°F / 0-4°C 3-8 days
(ideal: 72 hrs)
Refrigerator (thawed milk)
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM
If you were just going to freeze on Thursday then pull that same milk out for Monday I would just leave in the fridge.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)