Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

daycare on food program say they have to offer cereal

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:14 AM
  • 31 Replies

So my dd is 5 months today and when she is 6 months the daycare i work at and bring my dd to is on a food program and they say they have to offer cereal :(  im not a fan of the program it is outdated but we are a non profit and the reimbursement helps our daycare run.  So I don't want my dd to have rice cereal or at least limit the amount she receives. I have no problem with her getting baby food purees (fruits/veggies) after she is six months old and i have offered it at home first.  

Maybe its a control thing but I don't like being told what I need to feed my kid.  Has anyone just skipped rice cereal and offered oatmeal instead? what kind/brand of oatmeal did you use? Gerber or Quaker?  I was thinking of basically skipping cereal all together until she was closer to one and just giving her pureed fruits/veggies? Anyone else have this problem at daycare?  I will probably write a note, hope i don't need a drs note he favors cereal. My dd is healthy and at 4 months in the 43% for weight so no worries there. I want most of her calories to come from bm until shes closer to a year 

UPDATE

I live in Minnesota.  Yeah I hate the food  program!!!! They also push peanut butter which I dislike simply because of allergies. I moved to a small town to marry my husband but when I lived in the twin cities the daycare I worked at was very nice and wasnt on the food program they also were peanut free. I miss that place.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:26 AM

What state?  I had this issue with a previous daycare- they tried telling me they "had" to start my five month old on purees because of state regs (left because we couldn't resolve it) and in doing research I learned that in Missouri there is a form the daycare has to offer you, especially if they are in a federally funded food program, that gives your feeding preferences- allow the daycare to feed the food they purchase, or bring in your own, and it specifically states food must be started only when baby is developmentally ready.  In MO daycares get extra funding or something if they feed the kids- our first daycare only had me sign the form stating I was bringing in breastmilk and didn't show me anything else.  I would check with your state's guidelines and see if there is something that you can sign off to provide your own foods.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Is this in the us? If so, what state?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:33 AM
You can refuse
MoeksieNature
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Oh no! I definately skipped cereals all together and I wouldn't let ANYBODY tell me what I need to feed my child. I'm sure you guys can come up with a comprimise. We're not even giving our LO pureed-store-bought food, we mash it up ourselves and only AFTER she drank breastmilk. So you can definately skip cereal. Let us know what happened. Stand your ground, if you feel it's not for you then I feel that should be respected. :D

mamabens
by Miranda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:05 AM

You should be able to refuse and if nothing else. Have a drs note saying you don't need it. Babies don't need cereal of any kind, especially before 1 . I'd print out aap guidelines about it and just refuse or find another daycare. There has to be a way to decline, what if the kid were allergic?

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Our daycare is on the USDA food program. We had to provide a drs note in order to refuse otherwise the daycare would lose their status(and the food for all the kids). They were fine. All I did was call my pedi and fax it in.

My daycare supervisors granddaughter was bf and had anemia problems and once I brought it up she thinks that may be why!
MisfitInTN
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Im glad we dont use daycare because my ds has allergies. He cant have the rice cereal and his gi even told us no grains
cnlsmommy
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM
In my state (county?)you have to sign a consent to start foods. Then my daycare requires that I write out exactly what foods I allow them to feed as a baby so they are never the first to administer a food unless I tell them yo, which is never, lol
KAmomma1113
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Id freak out if someone TOLD me how and what to feed my child. I dont know anything about the daycare "laws" or "guidelines" so Im no help, but just wanted to say I used the Greber oatmeal. Dd didnt like the rice and I mixed alittle with the fruit/veggie purees to add flavor to it for her. But good luck, and hope u can get ur daycare issue resolved or maybe find a new daycare :)
Glowing4Caleb
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

If there are allergies, they won't make you give your child something they are allergic to. Also, to the OP, just get a note from the doctor. That is a crazy rule! Never heard of it!

Quoting MisfitInTN:

Im glad we dont use daycare because my ds has allergies. He cant have the rice cereal and his gi even told us no grains

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN