Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

'Breastfeeding Myths Debunked' - You can't breastfeed after surgery or other procedures

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 189 Replies
3 moms liked this

Today we're debunking the myth that you cannot breastfeed after surgery or other procedures.

Many doctors and surgeons will tell you that you need to pump and dump after surgery and that you shouldn't nurse afterwards. Unfortunately, this is indeed a myth. If you are planning on having surgery or other procedures, it's recommended that you get a list of drugs that will be used ahead of time and check to make sure they are safe for nursing moms. If they're not, you can check and see if they can use something else.

Here are two websites you can use to check the drugs:

Kellymom.com and lactmed.

These are also great websites to check when you take or are prescribed other drugs, too, especially common over the counter drugs you'd take for colds, flu, upset stomachs, etc.

Have you ever had surgery or a procedure and was told you should pump and dump? Did you know there were websites to check for drug safety while nursing?

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pochaccotx
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I pumped and dumped a few hbours after having my gallbladder removed. Didn't know about the sites then. My son has bf on tons of pain meds due to that and an epi headache
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM
I never heard this myth till this group when someone asked. I'm glad to hear it is false as a friend of mine needs surgery after her baby is born. I don't want anything to interfer with her being able to nurse her baby, she loved nursing her first and I know she wants to with this baby too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:37 AM
With my son and daughter I was told after c section I cannot breastfeed and take vicodin.
Momma2013
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Never heard that but im not surprised. Doctors and people in the medical field tend to try to ruin everyone's breastfeeding. Not all of them but way too many. And while its not because they want to, it tends to be out of pure laziness and stupidity. They act like its better to just forget about it than actually look it up.

Im also glad there are websites like that.
starrseed
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I have postponed a surgery for over a year near because my doctor said he wouldn't do it until I was not nursing/pregnant. I'm glad to know it's not necessary.
finnbar
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM
This myth has always puzzled me because my mom had three caesarians and nursed right away and while taking strong pain killers. Of course some drugs probably are not safe while nursing but it seems strange that all doctors don't at least touch on the subject during training rotations.
Mommy2CXh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I haven't had Ny procedures done . Yes I knew there was a website my dr told me about them so if a dr told me I couldn't take something to either check myself or have him look.
MaryLu86
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Well considering I had 3 c-sections and nursed right after with all of them, I had no idea about this myth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I never heard of doctors telling moms to pump and dump until I came to this group. The only surgery I ever had was my csection with dd and there were no issues there. I remember my SIL had to have a contrast dye done right after her baby was born and the doctors told her she couldn't nurse for 2 days afterwards, that was the end for her unfortunately, she had no idea that she could've kept nursing. I actually never knew about Kellymom or Lactmed or Dr. Hale before this group, another reason why I'm so glad I joined! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greenstone920
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I was told to pump and dump for 3 days when I had to have a CT scan, due to the radioactive dye that they inject into you. This was 6.5 years ago, when my older ds was 10wks old. I followed the doc's instructions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN