Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ouch

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 2 Replies

I am currently 28 weeks 1 day pregnant with my 3rd child. I am planning on breastfeeding him like I did with my other 2 children. However, with the older 2 despite the fact that latch on was correct (at least according to lactation consultants) one side got terribly blistered. With my first child they gave me a nipple shield which caused nipple confusion and I had to use it the whole time I breastfed (a year and a half). With my second, he blistered me so badly that it was unbearbly painful to nurse. It eventually got better, although I needed a medicated cream for a while. Any ideas on how I can avoid this problem when I start nursing this little guy?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Were either of your other children checked for lip/tongue ties? Also, be sure to see an International Board Certified Lactation consultant. Anyone can call themselves an LC. An IBCLC has extensive, specialized training.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Definitely check for tongue tie if the latch looks good and you have pain for an extended amount of time. Hopefully you won't have to deal with pain this time around!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)