Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling touched out (Vent)

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
I am a busy mother of three boys(5.5, 4, and 18 months today.) My youngest is still mostly breastfeeding, the solids he does eat he likes me to feed him. If I offer a bite he'll usually eat it off my hand instead of picking it up and feeding himself lol. I know it's my fault because we don't sit down at the table because we don't have enough chairs for everyone.

He's never liked solids much though. We started baby led solids at 9 months but due to a very sensitive gag reflex we held off for awhile and at 13 months he helped himself to some turkey with no issues.

He has never eaten more then a few bites and has been nursing every 2-3 hours since about 6 months old. While I do love it I find myself feeling very pinned down and touched out. He's going through a very clingy stage, which I remember well with my first two but they weren't breastfed and were completely independently eating by now. I can't get anything done because he wants to be attached to me constantly and I sometimes I dread it. He's a very active nurser so he twists himself in knots and nurses in some very uncomfortable positions. Sometimes I just put him down and ignore him but he crawls back up and pulls at my shirt and my mommy guilt eats at me.

I love our time but I do so miss the calm newborn who just nursed and didn't have to stand on his head to nurse lol.

My favorite feedings are at night when he's sleeping next to me. He's so calm and relaxed. But his Dad wants him out of our bed. Ultimately it will be my sleep that suffers. I'm not going to force him to night wean. I'll have to deal with the crib transition and I'll be the one up every 3 hours to nurse him back to sleep. We are getting a bigger bed (currently we share a full and its pretty cramped) so I'm hoping to figure something out. I want to maybe sidecar the crib but I'm not sure how well that will work.

Then we are approaching his second birthday and I said I was going to nurse him until 2 but we're not ready to stop. My DF is not too keen on the idea of me nursing beyond 2 (not that it matters) but I'm not looking forward to dealing with his comments...

I guess that's it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I'm also feeling very touched out. I have 4 kids. 9, almost 6, almost 3, and a 6 week old. I'm ebf as well, and I just need a break. Even a short break would be amazing. I'm probably going to go get a pedicure soon. Make hubby take the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM
I definitely need a break but I have developed such horrible anxiety since becoming a mom. I have been a full time SAHM since my oldest was born. It's like I've forgotten how to be anything else as sad as that is.

I try to get out with DF atleast once a month but it usually ends up being every couple months:-/

Ugh I'm such a mess lol.

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

I'm also feeling very touched out. I have 4 kids. 9, almost 6, almost 3, and a 6 week old. I'm ebf as well, and I just need a break. Even a short break would be amazing. I'm probably going to go get a pedicure soon. Make hubby take the kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Sit at the table with him in your lap and a plate of food in front of you and let him pick the food off himself, Its nice for everyone to sit together but not a requirement. You could also set a plate of food for him at the coffee table and let him pick at it as he pleases. My 18 month old eats a ton, but that doesn't stop him from nursing as often as a newborn. Also acrobatics come with the territory of nursing toddlers ;-) You can try nursing manners to encourage calmer nursing sessions
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM
At this age i've heard setting boundaries starts getting easier. Like saying we can nurse if you sit still in my lap but if you can't sit still no nursing. And you can always distract or limit length of feedings too. We never had enough chairs so since i was the youngest i always sat on a step ladder at the dinner table lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomtoSloan
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I so know how you feel, my daughter was absolutely obsessed with nursing.  She wasn't a great eater either, but she would always nurse even if she wasn't hungry.  Finally at 22 months we got pregnant again and so I cut her off cold turkey, I had so much anxiety about it but it was so easy, we had a half hour that was rough before nap time and then that night I told her no and just cuddled up with her and she went right to sleep.  She was also in our bed.  It was great to have been able to nurse her but those last months were brutal.  It took me a couple months to even think about wanting to nurse the new baby because I was soooo over it.  After I stopped nursing her she became a much better eater and gained more weight too.  Now we transitioned her into her own bed and she actually sleeps much better there than she did with us.   It's such a personal thing, just keep trusting your instincts and if you do decide to wean your little boy just know it may not be as hard as you think it will be!  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)