• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dry skin

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 5 Replies
So I'm having really bad dry skin and boobs. So I was complaining to my grandmother and great grand that nothing is helping. My great grand mother got to telling me when she was pre paring for her babies she took a very rough cloth and roughed up her boobs to make them sore before hand and after a week or so soreness was gone and when baby latched she didn't have to deal with it cracking and being sore/ uncomftrobable...well I'm not fixing to make my boobs sore on purpose but got to thinking is there a better cream or something I could be using that might help with moisturizing them so they don't crack? I been just putting regular lotion on them but it doesn't do much good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Are you using soap? That can dry out your skin really bad. You can try coconut oil all over your body and nipples for a natural moisturizer. Lanolin, or any nipple ointment/nipple butter will help with that too. All are safe for baby to have in their mouth and no need to wipe off. Regular lotion isn't safe for baby.

Yes, please don't do the rough wash cloth thing. That is very painful. When baby comes, make sure they open very wide like a big yawn or cry and taking in more than just the nipple. That's one of those old wives tales, and you will hear many more, that is not a good thing to do.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Most regular lotion has some form of alcohol in it which actually is more drying than moisturizing. You also don't need to "rough up" your nipples before nursing. Lanolin & coconut oil are a couple of things that can be used.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I like just using coconut oil.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Lanolin worked good for me. No roughing your nipples up!

mommyoffarmkids
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Thanks! Yes I knew that was old wise tale but you don't disrespect great grandma you just smile and say yes ma'am and go do what you want she will never know lol! Baby isn't here yet and I knew I couldn't do lotion once he was nursing, but it had never crossed my mind that the nipple cream maybe better even before he gets here. I think I will go to store today and see if I can find some. Thanks again! I'm so glad I found cafe moms and this group. I tried so hard last time to breast feed was able to pump but never got our son to latch and then gave up after 8weeks because being sleep deprived and forking full time and a newborn was just way more than I could Handel...I feel this time I will do better and I have all of you guys for questions.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Are you using soap? That can dry out your skin really bad. You can try coconut oil all over your body and nipples for a natural moisturizer. Lanolin, or any nipple ointment/nipple butter will help with that too. All are safe for baby to have in their mouth and no need to wipe off. Regular lotion isn't safe for baby.

Yes, please don't do the rough wash cloth thing. That is very painful. When baby comes, make sure they open very wide like a big yawn or cry and taking in more than just the nipple. That's one of those old wives tales, and you will hear many more, that is not a good thing to do.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)