Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Very frustrated!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
My son is a week old today and after 3 kids, this will be my first time breastfeeding. I thought that all was well, but today it all came crashing down. My son has lost a pound and has high level jaundice. My milk came in two days ago and I nurse every hour to 2 hours. He usually is at the breast for 15-20 minutes a feeding. We are having lights set up in our home per his doctor, and have to take him to the hospital the entire weekend. I experienced digestive problems with my other 2who were formula fed, and I didn't want that this time. I am so hurt. I hate seeing him losing weight. I am ready to quit. He started out so plump and healthy looking and now he is so tiny. He latches on great, is drinking, and I can see the milk running from his mouth. I pumped 2 oz.in one 25 minutes.Can anyone offer me any advice?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

How much did he weigh at birth? was this a vaginal or section birth? did you have IV fluids while i labor?

I ask these things because weight loss is normal and expected after birth.  Up to 10% for vaginal births and 12% for csection or labors with alot of IV fluids.  Jaundice is caused by MANY things not just lack of milk.  Jaundice can be caused by early cord clamping, by the Vit K shot, lack of sunlight and just baby having issues clearing the bili.

Pumping doesnt show supply BUT a 2 oz output does show you arent lacking milk.  Has baby been checked for a tongue tie?

How are diapers?  What is a HIGH level of jaundice in numbers?  Do you time feeds or just happe to notice that the length is 15-20 min

tracykelly79
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM
He was 7 pounds 15 oz. at birth. I had a c-section delivery and a Tubal litigation. I am also on meds for pain and a blood thinner. My doctor approved all medications for breastfeeding. He is not pooping much...about once a day,but has lots of wet diapers. He has not had his tongue checked. I don't know the exact jaundice levels, but the doctor said that his blood work showed high levels.I do time the feedings.

The doctor just told me to stop breastfeeding for 24 hours and do the light therapy.
sleepymommy87
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Stopping breastfeeding is the worst thing you can do don't listen to him. Keep breastfeeding. Breastmilk will help lower the Billi levels faster than formula. Keep baby at breast unless he's under the lights. Skin to skin. Baby should have at least 6 dirty diapers, heavy count as two. If diapers are fine continue nursing. Weight loss with c sections are higher than vaginal births.

Quoting tracykelly79:

He was 7 pounds 15 oz. at birth. I had a c-section delivery and a Tubal litigation. I am also on meds for pain and a blood thinner. My doctor approved all medications for breastfeeding. He is not pooping much...about once a day,but has lots of wet diapers. He has not had his tongue checked. I don't know the exact jaundice levels, but the doctor said that his blood work showed high levels.I do time the feedings.

The doctor just told me to stop breastfeeding for 24 hours and do the light therapy.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM
This! Also never time feedings, let baby come off on his own and offer the other side, he may take it, but if not that's fine too. No bottles or pacis until at least 6 weeks.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Stopping breastfeeding is the worst thing you can do don't listen to him. Keep breastfeeding. Breastmilk will help lower the Billi levels faster than formula. Keep baby at breast unless he's under the lights. Skin to skin. Baby should have at least 6 dirty diapers, heavy count as two. If diapers are fine continue nursing. Weight loss with c sections are higher than vaginal births.

Quoting tracykelly79:

AidanTiarra
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

My daughter had high billi levels for about 2 weeks after birth. She also did not catch up to her birth weight by her 2 week appointment. She is now 6 months old and very happy, healthy and chubby.

I would continue to nurse and as long as he is having at least 6 diapers he is fine. Many breastfeed babbies poop more often than formula fed babbies, but not all. My daughter goes several days without pooping sometimes. Her doctor said that breastmilk is more effecient than formula so there is less waste, as long as her poop is still soft she can go several days without a problem.

Don't worry too much about his weight, he will be just fine and catch back up within a couple weeks.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Since you had a c-section 12% weight loss is expected. 121Ounces was his birth weight so his lowest expected weight is app. 7 lbs 0.5 ounces, he's just about 1.5 ounces under which is not too concerning. Just stop timed feedings. :-) You're doing fine. It may take him a few weeks to get back up to birthweight, he should be gaining about a pound a month on avg. Hang in there, no need to be discouraged.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Breastfed babies can go up to 2 weeks without pooping, absolutely no cause for concernn there either. Also poopy diapers count as 2 on his requirment of 6 dipea day. :-)

Quoting tracykelly79:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tracykelly79:

He was 7 pounds 15 oz. at birththen a pound loss is normal!. I had a c-section delivery and a Tubal litigation.ok yeah 12% loss would be around a poud I am also on meds for pain and a blood thinner. My doctor approved all medications for breastfeeding. He is not pooping much...about once a day,but has lots of wet diapers.poop worries me but lots of wets is good He has not had his tongue checked.get that checked I don't know the exact jaundice levels, but the doctor said that his blood work showed high levelsyeah I dont trust doctors and their HIGH levels, I was told high for 13 and they can go to 25 and be fine.I do time the feedings. do you make baby STOP a feed at 15-20 min? if so STOP THAT, let baby feed as long as baby will feed

The doctor just told me to stop breastfeeding for 24 hours and do the light therapy.NO NO NO NO never take BFing advice from doctor.  Formula will cause constipation, ruin the virgin gut, give baby high risks for SIDS and tons of other issues for life...BF that baby!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Actually this is NOT true for newborns..poop is the issue when baby has jaundice and not pooping, baby needs to go multiple times a day and clear the meconium

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Breastfed babies can go up to 2 weeks without pooping, absolutely no cause for concernn there either. Also poopy diapers count as 2 on his requirment of 6 dipea day. :-)

Quoting tracykelly79:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM
My bad, DS only ever pooped once a day his firsrt 6-8 weeks, and the LC assured me it was fine, of course this was not an IBCLC, and we had no issues with jaundice. I was undet the impression this was for infants of all ages. So what is the daily requirement of BMs for newborns and when does it change?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Actually this is NOT true for newborns..poop is the issue when baby has jaundice and not pooping, baby needs to go multiple times a day and clear the meconium

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Quoting tracykelly79:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)