Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Need A Sling, Mommas! Anybody Know How to Make One?!?!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM
  • 8 Replies
Making meals and cleaning house would be so much easier with a sling. My little booby monster always seems to want to eat when it's important for me to be doing other things.

I'd love to buy one but funds are tight... Anyone know how i can make one? Are there any videos i can follow?

Please help!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lhk8lcO8as

This one uses a simple piece of fabric and two heavy duty (from hardware store) rings

muchlovedby4
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Thank you!!

One question... Have you used a ring sling? I've heard they can be uncomfortable.

Quoting audmom1218:

This one uses a simple piece of fabric and two heavy duty (from hardware store) rings

Koux
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I know you're not asking me, but I'll butt in anyway... :) Ring Slings are great, but they do have a bit of a learning curve. It requires practice to get it comfy for you. It won't be as comfy as a wrap or other two-shouldered carry, but with practice and patience you'll get pretty close. I made my own and I still use it with my 8 month old all the time (now that she's older we love back carries in the sling)! I suggest visiting TheBabyWearer.com forums if you get stuck, they're very knowledgeable and can help if you need to make adjustments.

I made my own ring sling with instructions from Sleeping Baby Productions, she has a whole DIY section on her website. Just google it, I can't post a link right now. Also I highly recommend getting your rings at SlingRings.com. They're safety tested and made specifically for baby slings. You can't get safer than that.

If you're overwhelmed/not interested in ring slings, wraps are super easy and cheap to make as well (it's just a long strip of fabric). It takes practice learning to tie it, but they're super comfy and woven wraps can be used through toddlerhood.

Hope that helps! Good luck! I'm glad to help if you have any other questions.

Quoting muchlovedby4:

Thank you!!

One question... Have you used a ring sling? I've heard they can be uncomfortable.

Quoting audmom1218:

muchlovedby4
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Do you know of any videos or websites with instructions on making one? The best types of material, etc? I'd appreciate any info you can give me. Thank you so much.

Quoting Koux:

I know you're not asking me, but I'll butt in anyway... :) Ring Slings are great, but they do have a bit of a learning curve. It requires practice to get it comfy for you. It won't be as comfy as a wrap or other two-shouldered carry, but with practice and patience you'll get pretty close. I made my own and I still use it with my 8 month old all the time (now that she's older we love back carries in the sling)! I suggest visiting TheBabyWearer.com forums if you get stuck, they're very knowledgeable and can help if you need to make adjustments.

I made my own ring sling with instructions from Sleeping Baby Productions, she has a whole DIY section on her website. Just google it, I can't post a link right now. Also I highly recommend getting your rings at SlingRings.com. They're safety tested and made specifically for baby slings. You can't get safer than that.

If you're overwhelmed/not interested in ring slings, wraps are super easy and cheap to make as well (it's just a long strip of fabric). It takes practice learning to tie it, but they're super comfy and woven wraps can be used through toddlerhood.

Quoting muchlovedby4:

Thank you!!

Quoting audmom1218:

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but I know many moms who swear by them.  I bought a wrapsody woven wrap and haven't ventured out to try this yet.  I'm just keeping it in my repetoire for #2!!

Koux
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sling.html

She has TONS of info on her website, this tells you exactly how to make it and she devotes a whole page to fabric types and shoulder styles. I used the 1" shoulder pleats. Basically, linen or any type of sturdy woven fabric (no thin cotton quilting fabrics, no knits) will work. It's only one layer of fabric so you just want to make sure it's strong enough to support baby's weight.

Quoting muchlovedby4:

Do you know of any videos or websites with instructions on making one? The best types of material, etc? I'd appreciate any info you can give me. Thank you so much.

Quoting Koux:

Quoting muchlovedby4:

Thank you!!

Quoting audmom1218:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I would check on craigslist for a moby or other wrap for sale. My cousin bought a moby off of craigslist for $3.... maybe this is just because i can't sew worth a darn lol.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM

I followed directions to make a ring sling off of the maywrap website.  I was able to purchase the rings from Lowe's (big box home improvement store).  SUPER simple!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)