Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Growth spurt?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hi ladies,

My daughter is 6months and nurses on demand. I also give her organic purees 2x a day and she eats about 1/2 pouch  each time. My question is when I leave her with mom or sitter for about 4 hours I leave 2 bottles with 3oz each but lately she is still hungry...they know how to properly bottle feed her, but she goes thru the bottles and is ready to nurse as soon as I get home? Why are we only supposed to leave 3oz? Should I add in a little bit of a purée for lunch? I don't want her to be hungry, but I also don't want to over feed? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Purees are not needed, and solids are strictly for fun at this age, offered only after a full nursing. If she can sit in a high chair unsupported, pick up small soft pieces of food with her pincer grasp, and has lost the tongue thrust reflex, she can have whatever everyone else is having. Also, you may need slower flow nipples than what you're using. She should be jurors after each ounce, be fed while held in a seated position, with the bottle parallel to the floor. Kellymom.com has some really good information on all of this.
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

You can let them give her some solids in addition to or instead of the bottle.

Why only 3 oz:

How much milk will my baby need while I’m away?

Breastfed babies need, on average, 24 to 32 ounces of milk per day (Kent et al., 2006). If you spread that amount over a full day it equals 1-1.25 ounces per hour. With that information in mind, plan on leaving about 1-1.25 ounces of milk for each hour of separation. Most breastfed babies need no more than 2-4 ounces at each feeding (Kent et al., 2006). Breastfed babies need less milk than formula-fed babies do, and unlike with formula, the amount of breastmilk your baby needs does not increase as he grows bigger. When you return to work, your baby will need only a portion of this daily amount of milk from the care provider, because he will still be getting much of it by breastfeeding during the hours of the day and night when you are together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)