• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Gain

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

The pedi is having fits about Evan's weight gain again. This time it might be valid : (  I don't have a lot of in between weights, but birth weight was 6 lbs. Lowest weight was 5lb 14 oz. Over birth weight before one week old. Now at nine months he weighs 13lbs 4 oz. EBF up until a little over a week ago (just started fresh avocado and bananas a few days before the appointment). He has been sleeping through the night for a month or so. We have battled a double ear infection and RSV over the last few months. I feed him on demand when we are together and send 3 bottles of bm to daycare with him (3 oz each). I have this week started sending a fourth 2 oz bottle. I feed him immediately upon getting home. 

What do you guys think? What can/should I do? 

He is our third and actually our largest. Neither dh nor I are large people (I am 5 ft and dh is 5 ft 7inches).

Thanks.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommyO2-6631
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Has he grown in length and is meeting milestones? So far he is meeting the 1 lb per month expected. And since you and dh are small people it is in his genes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM
If he has been ill, that will definitely affect weight gain. That being said, if all your other children are small, why would the pedi be so concerned? As long as he is not losing, there is nothing to be worried about at this point.
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I don't see anything to be concerned about.  I wouldn't change anything.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I wouldn't change a thing, he is still averaging about a pound of gain a month at that weight, which is perfect! Like pps said, his illnesses definitely affecting his weight, but its also normal for gain to decline over time as baby ages.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Quoting Jasminejunebug:

The pedi is having fits about Evan's weight gain again. This time it might be valid : (  I don't have a lot of in between weights, but birth weight was 6 lbs. Lowest weight was 5lb 14 oz. Over birth weight before one week old. Now at nine months he weighs 13lbs 4 oz. EBF up until a little over a week ago (just started fresh avocado and bananas a few days before the appointment). He has been sleeping through the night for a month or so. We have battled a double ear infection and RSV over the last few months. I feed him on demand when we are together and send 3 bottles of bm to daycare with him (3 oz each). I have this week started sending a fourth 2 oz bottle. I feed him immediately upon getting home. 

What do you guys think? What can/should I do? 

He is our third and actually our largest. Neither dh nor I are large people (I am 5 ft and dh is 5 ft 7inches).

Thanks.

There's your answer right there!!! He's fine, he's doing what he was genetically designed to do!

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Quoting jjchick75: I don't see anything to be concerned about.  I wouldn't change anything.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM

5 lbs 14 ounces + 1 lb/month expected gain takes me to 14 lbs 14 ounces at nine months. But he's been sick and that will throw the weight off. I'd keep doing what you're doing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)