• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just don't know what the problem is anymore

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 4 Replies
Terrin got his tongue tie clipped yesterday and I was looking forward to this immediate result like other mothers had talked about. Terrins latch,transfer and swallowing got better but, he still want to nurse for 1-2 hours till he gets to the point he cries latches sucks hard and fast then pulls back till my boob pops out of his mouth and screams bloody murder he keeps going till he refuses to latch and I cave give him formula and he will suck it down in gulps like he was starving. After he's finally content I pump figuring I can give him that instead of formula when he fits but I only get a few drops, I had been getting 2oz before his tongue was clipped.

Im just not sure what to do. i have hypothyroidism and my levels are fine so I don't know if that is still having an impact. I knew it would be difficult in the beginning but I'm just really not sure how much more I can fight for this. My 4year old has been great dealing with less mommy time. My milk never came in with him so I felt lucky this time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

He only got it clipped yesterday. He needs some time to learn to use his new tongue.

How old is he?

It is possible he needs some suck training. Are you working with a good IBCLC?

sweet_pea_1116
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM
He's 3 weeks old. I've been working with an awesome IBCLC and I emailed her to let her know because she's the one who told me his nursing time should cut down within the first 24 hours.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

He only got it clipped yesterday. He needs some time to learn to use his new tongue.

How old is he?

It is possible he needs some suck training. Are you working with a good IBCLC?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

As maggiemom said.. he may need some suck training. Hang in there.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Quoting sweet_pea_1116:

Terrin got his tongue tie clipped yesterday and I was looking forward to this immediate result like other mothers had talked about.
As my son likes to remind me, nothing happens instantly.
Terrins latch,transfer and swallowing got better but, he still want to nurse for 1-2 hours till he gets to the point
Ahh... at three weeks old, this is normal even if he'd never had a tongue tie. Three weeks is an AWFUL age. One of our moms says she'd rather snuggle with a honey badger.
So the good news? Baby is normal!
he cries latches sucks hard and fast then pulls back till my boob pops out of his mouth and screams bloody murder he keeps going till he refuses to latch and I cave give him formula and he will suck it down in gulps like he was starving. After he's finally content I pump figuring I can give him that instead of formula when he fits but I only get a few drops, I had been getting 2oz before his tongue was clipped.
There is some nipple preference in play here too... but this is normal behavior. Know why we bond? So we don't EAT them at this stage. Whoever called babies bundles of joy never LIVED with one.

Im just not sure what to do. i have hypothyroidism and my levels are fine so I don't know if that is still having an impact. I knew it would be difficult in the beginning but I'm just really not sure how much more I can fight for this. My 4year old has been great dealing with less mommy time. My milk never came in with him so I felt lucky this time.

No bottles. They're merely making the misery last longer. Look for his first hunger cues to put him to breast. Better... don't bopther taking him off.

The four year old will be fine. Know why eldest children make great leaders? Because we eldests have to learn to entertain ourselves rather early! It could be argued that a mom who DOESN'T ignore the eldest in favor of a younger is depriving the eldest of vital growth opportunities! **grin** (Yep, I'm an eldest!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)