Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 mo checkup - UGH pediatrician and vit d

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM
  • 31 Replies

Lily had her two mo checkup today.  She was born jan 8 at 36 weeks gestation and was 19 in and 5 lb 15.4 oz.  Lowest recorded weight was at 6 days and was 5 lbs 6.0 oz.  Today she was 22 in and 10 lb 9.6 oz : ) I was super excited and proud but the pedi didnt act like anything was good or bad - she was very indifferent. Okay, fine whatever.  

Then she asked about vit d drops as she recommended the Enfamil ones at her last appt. I said no we aren't using them as we go outside daily.  We live in NC and can go out for a bit almost everyday.  Dr then says "the sun isn't enough, you must give supplements".  I just nodded and told her thanks I would look at them.  I don't want to switch pedis because she's the only one in town who doesn't require vax.  

What did people do before supplements? Apparently they all died according to the doc.  I think she's been brainwashed by Enfamil.  Her entire office is decked out in Enfamil swag.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I never used any.  And I live in Chicago!!  LOL  No sun here for a good 5 months out of the year.  Vitamin D was NEVER meant to be taken as a supplement.  The sun is THE best way to get it.  It was meant to be absorbed through your skin.  Some doctors....  SMH.

MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I would almost bet that any increase in Rickets (if there were any) was due to kids not being encouraged to play outdoors and families staying inside rather than spending any time outdoors.

SadieJames
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

That's why I was so baffled. She acted like it was impossible to be outside enough to get enough vit d. You only need a couple hours a week! We are outside 20-30 minutes a day for a walk plus whatever else, my 8 wo dd is FINE.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I would almost bet that any increase in Rickets (if there were any) was due to kids not being encouraged to play outdoors and families staying inside rather than spending any time outdoors.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Just smile and nod. As you will when she starts pushing solids, sleeping through the night, etc. Phenomenal weight gain, by the way!
MamaSince2005
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM
I'm exclusively breastfeeding. At dd's 2 month check up, my pedi didn't mention any supplements. Its not needed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:18 AM

That's harsh. I used to work in cardiology and those sales reps come in bringing gifts, goodies, and yummy treats. Too bad it sounds like that office is sold out to enfamil :/ even if your dd needed drops (which isn't even a need for infants), there are way better options out there! We live in nw wa right on the 49th where we get adequate sun about 10-14 days a year. We do supplements, but definitely not that young, and definitely not enfamil!

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Our pedi tried to push vit. d drops on us. I live in Hawaii. There is plenty of sun here. I told him that. He hasn't said anything since.

LaideBug
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Smile and nod and say I'll look into it is what I do. I think he has figured out I don't do as he says a lot of the time.
TTC2Long
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Not even that. You need ONE hour a week and the baby will get it in your bm, too, so baby needs even less. Also, vit d is stored, which is how we somehow, magically survive winters. Sounds like doc is brainwashed. I'd print out some info from a source she'll respect and take it for the next appt.

Quoting SadieJames:

That's why I was so baffled. She acted like it was impossible to be outside enough to get enough vit d. You only need a couple hours a week! We are outside 20-30 minutes a day for a walk plus whatever else, my 8 wo dd is FINE.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

big_red05
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM
I had this fight with my pedi too.. I finally said ok whatever and have not given her the supplements!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)