• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Employer breaking the law?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:31 AM
  • 16 Replies
So I've complained about this in a post about something else before but now I'm down right angry. I work for a rather large restaurant chain. I work in the office doing the books in the morning and wait tables in the afternoon. My dh works nights. It works well because we don't need childcare. Well I've recently had to pick up extra shifts at night to make ends meet when dh has the day off. The evening shifts are 6-8 hours. I've explained to them that I pump but my bosses are all men so they just tell me to do what I have to do and that's it. I work with mostly females so I can usually find one to cover for me while I pump in the nasty employee restroom while I can hear the cooks outside the door speculating if someone is getting it on in there or taking a big crap. Great mood it puts me in to try to express milk for my ds right? Well spring break is coming up and all the college kids are out of town so that leaves me working a ton of hours and one double shift that'll be about a 12 hour day. I'm freaking out. I don't want to threaten them with calling HR. I've tried talking to them but it goes no where. What do I do without jeopardizing my job?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ali840
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I get anxious just thinking about it! You have to stand up for your right to be a working bfing mother. I can't imagine they would be able to fire you over this. Go to hr, it's the only option I see. That really sucks :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Talking to HR jeopardizes THEIR jobs more than yours.

Sprtam
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Right, but I feel like I'm opening a can of worms. There is no place for me to pump. There is a camera and a window into the one office. They will have to build something. Or they will have to cut my hours so I'm not there long enough to have to pump, which I can't afford. The whole company would have to rethink dealing with this situation. I'm anxious about how I will be treated.

Quoting gdiamante:

Talking to HR jeopardizes THEIR jobs more than yours.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I would still go to HR. But for other suggestions until something changes maybe you could wear a hands-free pumping bra or tank top and pump while you're doing the books, also you ccan drape a nursing cover over you while doing so, so that you're not being recorded. Good luck mama!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Or maybe you could ask for a folding closet/changing screen ( IDK what it's called) to be set up in the corner of the office to pump behind....
SadieJames
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Can you use a nursing cover and pump in the office?

Nolanzo
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I am going through this exact same thing at my work... I have not had the baby yet but they are already telling me they wont be able to accommodate me pumping and I laughed and told them to get with the program and read up on current law.

Also, idk if its a NYS thing or federal, but my LC has told me that it is the LAW that you MUST be provided a place to pump that does NOT have a toilet (against state health department standards here in NY already due to the possibility of contaminating your milk...) so in your case that would leave your office with the camera.... also illegal.

So, yeah, they have some accommodations to make for you. And if you are treated like crap they are at risk for a lawsuit. And I dare them to terminate you... they absolutely are setting themselves up for big trouble!

You've got to stand up for yourself mama, these are your legal rights! And, yes, run don't walk to HR with this because whoever works that position will, or at least SHOULD, know exactly what accommodations need to be made and you can request that some sort of list or paperwork stating exactly what you need be sent to your shift manager so there is noo questions, weird looks, eye rolls, etc.

And I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Its f***king ridiculous that employers are such jerks about the whole thing. I've basically told my own employer to go f*** themselves after I give birth... because I can already see its going to be more of a pain in my butt than its worth for my crappy pay rate... but now I'm stuck looking for other work because I can't affird to stay home either.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I would use a nursing cover and pump in the office lol

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would actually talk to HR about the cook's conversation FIRST, because it treads the line near sexual harassment. 

Office is easy. Turn off the camera, install a blind. DONE. Cost of maybe $50.

BlessedMammaof2
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I used a cover and pumped in our breakroom. It wasn't until others complained HR finally listened and provided me a private space to pump. I didn't have any issues after that. I wasn't going to pump in a bathroom.

Quoting SadieJames:

Can you use a nursing cover and pump in the office?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)