Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to know he is getting enough milk

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 5 Replies
I am a new mom with a 6 week old son, and I am breast feeding full time with him. He has only had formula maybe 3 times and it was a nightmare (to me at least). I feel like I am constantly breast feeding all the time. Every time he finishes, he is ready for more 30 minutes later. Is he not getting enough while he feeds? I was thinking about pumping and storring milk, but how much do I know he will eat? I just feel like he isn't getting enough because he is constantly wanting more right away.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like perfectly normal behavior. Newborns are supposed to be fussy and constantly at the breast. If you have at least 6-8 dipes per day (poop and super wet count as 2). That's all you need to do to make sure he's getting enough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Is he having 6-8 wet diapers a day? If so he is getting enough. 6 weeks is big growth spurt time. It gets easier soon. Pumping is a huge pain and makes feeding time even longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
He's in the middle of a growth spurt, and doing exactly what he needs to do to regulate your supply. The more time he spends at the breast, the quicker it will happen. Pump output is also not an accurate indicator of supply since babies can get much more milk from the breast than the pump can.
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM

How has his weight gain been?

About how many times does he nurse in 24 hrs?

Is his latch comfortable for you or does it hurt/damage your nipples?

How many wet and dirty diapers every day (separate numbers for pee and poop)?

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Count diapers. Set six out every morning. When the last one is gone you know he's gotten enough.

Dipe count is actually more accurate than bottle count... bottle count doesn't account for what baby might spit up. When it hits the diaper, you know soemthing actually made iot all the way through baby!

All you describe is 100% normal. I'd be worried if he DIDN'T do this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)