Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newborn sleeping through the night?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 11 Replies
My sister just had a baby girl on Thursday (yay!). She's doing well nursing and has only lost 2% of her birth weight so far but she doesn't really nurse at night. She apparently loves her sleep at night! They've tried stripping her down, tickling her feet and head, tried putting sugar water on her nipple...nothing has worked to keep her awake enough to nurse at night. Should she be concerned? Any other tricks she could try? I've never experienced this myself. Both of my girls were attached to my boobs pretty much 24/7 the first few months so I don't know what else to suggest to her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

She's doing all the right things. She needs to watch the diapers. If she's getting a wet per day of life and the meconium is being pushed out, then all is good. If NOT, get in the tub and nurse there.

CjEmmemommy
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I wouldn't worry. I always felt if baby was hungry they would eat. If  she is getting enough wet diapers and not dropping weight I wouldn't worry to much. My biggest concern would be low sugar levels but as long as she eats every 6 or so at night I think she is okay.

My kids all slept through the night early, they didn't loose weight and we're healthy.

z0mbiepenguin
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM
DD is two and a half weeks old and sleeps thru the night. She's perfectly fine.
Momsthename0609
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM
My older two slept 6 hours threw the night right at birth and never had a problem at all. I would keep an eye on wet/poopy diapers and weight gain though to make sure. My almost 2 year old wanted to nurse 24/7 and my 2 month old goes in stages. Lol
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM
As long as it's occurring naturally and not because baby is jaundiced or anything else that can make baby unnaturally sleepy, it's totally fine!
My oldest slept 6 hours at night from birth, the nurses at the hospital told me she would die if I couldn't get get to wake up and eat (which I thought was completely ridiculous to say, btw). We did everything to wake her, including ice cubes on her feet! She wouldn't be bothered. However when she was good and ready, after about 6 hours she woke and ate!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM
This.

Is the baby yellow?

Does he have enough diapers?

Gaining weight okay?

My baby slept 4-6 hours straight from birth.

Quoting larissalarie:

As long as it's occurring naturally and not because baby is jaundiced or anything else that can make baby unnaturally sleepy, it's totally fine!

My oldest slept 6 hours at night from birth, the nurses at the hospital told me she would die if I couldn't get get to wake up and eat (which I thought was completely ridiculous to say, btw). We did everything to wake her, including ice cubes on her feet! She wouldn't be bothered. However when she was good and ready, after about 6 hours she woke and ate!

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM
My dd wanted to sleep 6+ hrs at night but we "couldn't" let her until she was up to birth weight. (That took 2 weeks). Then she went to waking every 2 hrs. I wish we would have ignored the doc and just fed her when she was hungry. (I had a lot of fluids, for 9 hrs before she was born)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM
She's still sleepy from the birth, especially if any meds were used on her mom. By tomorrow she should be more alert. The sugar water is not necessary, nor are bottles of water or anything else. Lots of skin-to-skin contact, where baby can smell mom and milk, will be stimulating.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Thanks ladies!

For additional info, she had a traumatic birth. She was breech and so they did an emergency c-section. Baby pooped inutero and ingested some so that required additional interventions. They checked her blood sugars through the first night and they were all fine. I'm not sure what the diaper count has been but she has gotten all the meconium out. There hasn't been any mention of jaundice so I assume her color has been fine. Her weight is still good. She went from a birth weight of 7lbs 7oz to 7lbs 1oz last night (a little over 24 hrs old at that point).
mylovey
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I wouldn't worry. Fin was like that for the first month. He loves his sleep, even now. :) 

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN