• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Barely used pump vs. insurance pump?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 4 Replies

Ok my friend has a barely used pump, she used it 3x, and I think it's Ameda (closed system right)? Do I really need to buy new tubing and parts? Can I just sanitize them really good? If not, why not? 

OR

Should I get a pump through my insurance (Hygeia brand).....pay for the pump 1st and then wait for insurance to reimburse me? IDK how long that would take or when I have to do all that.

I'm thinking even if I have to spend $30 on new tubing, it would be cheaper and less of a hassle than going through the insurance company. 

What do you ladies think?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
larissalarie
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I would use the existing pump available to me, simply because I don't like being wasteful.
Even if you don't directly pay for it, everything insurance pays for ends up getting passed back onto you & everyone else in the form of higher premiums, Co-pays, & deductibles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Yes, you need to buy new tubing and parts.  I would try out the Ameda and see how you like it and  then if it doesn't work out for you, go with the Hygeia pump with your insurance.  

Hannahsmommy816
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM
thanks ladies! good idea. she said her pump is just sitting there and the baby is 6mos old, so idk what she's doing holding onto it! i may take her up on her offer then! cheaper in the long run it seems! :)
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Wow! Two amazing choices! Either way you can't go wrong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)