• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help with breast pain :(

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM
  • 18 Replies
My son is 2 weeks old today and he is ebf.
But all the sudden I get really full during the night. Im so engorged by morning it hurts so bad. He nurse through the night so I don't understand why they are getting so full.
I'm still hurting after pumping and feeding him all day. Now its pretty much the outsides of both breasts they feel bruised and tender to touch.
Help please!!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kgau73
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

You may have clogged ducts. Be watchful for signs of Mastitis. Keep nursing. Why are you pumping so soon?

junebutterfly
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM
What are the signs?
In case I ever have to leave baby I won't have to use formula. Is there something wrong with it?

Quoting kgau73:

You may have clogged ducts. Be watchful for signs of Mastitis. Keep nursing. Why are you pumping so soon?

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Drop the pumping. You've created an oversupply. Look oversupply up on kellymom.com for instructions on how to manage this. For now, hand express just enough for relief.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM
If you should ever need to leave him, nurse before you leave and as soon as you get back. If you're going to be gone longer than three hours, he only nerds 1-1.5 ounces for each hour you're gone.
junebutterfly
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM
I've only pumped 3 times total and only 2ozs from from each breast each time.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Drop the pumping. You've created an oversupply. Look oversupply up on kellymom.com for instructions on how to manage this. For now, hand express just enough for relief.
kgau73
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Signs of mastitis are fever, chills feeling very sick, hard red spots on breasts. You may just have an oversupply. Do you feel any painful lumps? Pumping should be avoided until two weeks before you have to go back to work or school.  You are establishing how much milk you need and pumping can confuse your body into thinking it needs to make more than what your baby needs. Just nurse on demand and things should get back to normal.

Quoting junebutterfly:

What are the signs?
In case I ever have to leave baby I won't have to use formula. Is there something wrong with it?

Quoting kgau73:

kgau73
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM

4 ozs total is a lot of milk.

Quoting junebutterfly:

I've only pumped 3 times total and only 2ozs from from each breast each time.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Four ounces is indeed a lot! Ice packs, and unless you plan to be away from baby in the next week, don't bother with the pumping except to take the barest edge off. More tells your body to make more, leading to more engorgement.

junebutterfly
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Wow I didn't think that was much at all. I've always pumped at least 4 ozs at a time. This is my third baby and the first time I've had this problem.
But ill stop pumping if that'll help because this hurts pretty bad.

Quoting gdiamante:

Four ounces is indeed a lot! Ice packs, and unless you plan to be away from baby in the next week, don't bother with the pumping except to take the barest edge off. More tells your body to make more, leading to more engorgement.

Radellia
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM
When I pump, I usually don't get more than 1 1/2 - 2 oz total!

Quoting junebutterfly:

Wow I didn't think that was much at all. I've always pumped at least 4 ozs at a time. This is my third baby and the first time I've had this problem.

But ill stop pumping if that'll help because this hurts pretty bad.

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)