• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your toddler get cavities from......

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 14 Replies

Breastfeeding? I just found out that my son who never had any refined sugar or even juice before the age of two has like at least 5 cavities. He has to be put under so the dentist can attempt to fill them and if he can't he wants to pull them out!  By the way he is 2.5 now and nurses to sleep and whenever he doesn't feel good or just needs to connect. The dentist said it could be a mixture of sugar and breastfeeding, especially at night. I was taught that breastfeeding was not supposed to do this like bottle feeding does. Anybody have experience with this?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Or just plain genetics.

When you BF the milk doesn't sit in their mouths like with a bottle.

Genetics is most likely the cause here
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM
No, my dd is 6 and has never had a cavity. I've only had 1. Its most likely genetics.
TTC2Long
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM
It's either genetics and/or his teeth not being clean before nursing to sleep.

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/
Sexy_Yessi
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM
My son is 33 months..he stil nurses and up till now he has not had any cavities. He goes to the dentist every six months.
norahsmommy
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
It can be genetic. It can also be a sign of celiac disease.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Breastfeeding does not cause decay. Some children just have a different bacterial environment in their mouths that predisposed them to cavities. It happened to my daughter.
AngelicMommy_72
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Yes as a matter fact my son's teeth started discoloring almost as soon as they came in. So broken hearted because I take every precaution with both my sons. brushing their gums n everything :((
It must be genetics. sigh.
At 3 years old he had to have 6 caps, four fillings. Poor baby
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
My oldest has been plagued with cavities since he was 5, and he was weaned earlier than my others and didn't night nurse like my others. This poor kid brushes like crazy while his sibs skip it and eat candy yet he is the one to get cavities. The dentist said some people just have the mouth chemistry that causes cavities.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM
My oldest has been plagued with cavities since he was 5, and he was weaned earlier than my others and didn't night nurse like my others. This poor kid brushes like crazy while his sibs skip it and eat candy yet he is the one to get cavities. The dentist said some people just have the mouth chemistry that causes cavities.
B1Bomber
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Unfortunately for your kid, mouth health is, as stated by the others, largely genetic. Hubby is a brush-two-plus times a day, use mouthwash, floss, get cleanings at the dentist twice a year and still have cavities guy, while I'm a brush once or maybe twice a day, go to the dentist twice a decade kind of girl with no cavities at all ever. As a baby, he was bf'ed and I was ff'ed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)