• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another lovely poop question, about nursing 2 year old. Probably TMI.

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DD is 25 months and when she went for her two-year checkup the doctor asked if she was potty training yet (she isn't) and so she told me I could start by taking her diapers and rolling her poo into the toilet to show her where it goes. I said that it doesn't 'roll', it's still of pudding consistency like it's always been. There is nothing solid, and I was assuming it was because she was still breastfeeding but the doctor said she should have formed stool by now. Is she right or is she not informed? I've noticed things before that she doesn't know about nursing so that's why I'm not getting worried yet.  DD doesn't have problems or issues with elimination, this has always been how it's been for her and she's always BFed so I just kind fo figured it's normal. So for those of you who nurse or nursed older kids, um, what was it like at this stage? Formed or not? Thanks.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM
If she's not eating tons of solids and/or drinking cow's milk, it is likely to still be like pudding. I've found that potty training is Luke weaning--they do it when they're ready! As long as she's still growing and meeting milestones, there is nothing to worry about!
SouthTxPrincess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Idk my 17 mths old has formed stools, not all the time but occasionally, I wouldnt worry about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM
My 19 month old is still BFing, he only has formed stools once in a blue moon... usually when he has more solids than normal the day before. I wouldn't be concerned either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Hmm, I never thought about cow's milk-she doesn't really drink it much. Maybe that'senough to make the difference. And yeah, she'll potty train when she's ready. I won't worry. :)

Quoting MusherMaggie:

If she's not eating tons of solids and/or drinking cow's milk, it is likely to still be like pudding. I've found that potty training is Luke weaning--they do it when they're ready! As long as she's still growing and meeting milestones, there is nothing to worry about!

JTE11
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM

OK, that's good to know.  Sounds like she's within the realm of normal. Thank you!

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

My 19 month old is still BFing, he only has formed stools once in a blue moon... usually when he has more solids than normal the day before. I wouldn't be concerned either.

JTE11
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Yeah, after reading these replies I'm feeling like I was right to not worry- the pedi's shown before that she is a little clueless with BFed kids, I figured she was just showing it again. Thanks!

Quoting SouthTxPrincess:

Idk my 17 mths old has formed stools, not all the time but occasionally, I wouldnt worry about it.

IrishIz
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM

If she's going and showing no other signs of issues....I wouldn't really worry unless they were watery.  I'll take a soft stool.  That's fine.  Liam is about the same age.  He has some turds and many times it's still just mooshy soft poop.  

I sometimes wonder if my doctor leaves me alone about things because she's really smart or she knows I don't need to be asked things.  Seriously.  I think it might be a combination of things.  I mean...she asks questions but I've never listened to anything about breastfeeding (she knows I know) or vitamins or anything like that.  I'm actually taking him for a 2 1/2 year "developmental" and I bet she laughs when she sees me.  I actually wouldn't go to this because I know he is speech delayed and beyond that he's actually way ahead...but I need to talk to her about something and figure this is easier tan calling.  I need a script for something so I need to make a trip anyway...even if the phone call was easy.

JTE11
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM

No, no other elimination-related problems. And I'm glad to hear you wouldn't be worried either, that's what I was thinking anyway but it never hurts to throw it out there to the CM-ers. I used to work with my pediatrician (sort of) and most of the time she asks me if I have any concerns and if I say I don't then she doesn't really follow up with a lot of questions (I think she's kind of like yours-she figures I know enough about what to be concerned about) but this she took time to talk to me about it so I just wondered if maybe there WAS something to be concerned about. I'm glad nobody here is freaking out that she doesn't have formed stool, lol. And good luck at the dev checkup.  :)

Quoting IrishIz:

If she's going and showing no other signs of issues....I wouldn't really worry unless they were watery.  I'll take a soft stool.  That's fine.  Liam is about the same age.  He has some turds and many times it's still just mooshy soft poop.  

I sometimes wonder if my doctor leaves me alone about things because she's really smart or she knows I don't need to be asked things.  Seriously.  I think it might be a combination of things.  I mean...she asks questions but I've never listened to anything about breastfeeding (she knows I know) or vitamins or anything like that.  I'm actually taking him for a 2 1/2 year "developmental" and I bet she laughs when she sees me.  I actually wouldn't go to this because I know he is speech delayed and beyond that he's actually way ahead...but I need to talk to her about something and figure this is easier tan calling.  I need a script for something so I need to make a trip anyway...even if the phone call was easy.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
My son is 5 and the poops don't "roll off" when he has an accident. They're "formed" when he goes in the toilet because his pants don't smush them. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Lol yes, that's a good point :D

Quoting aehanrahan:

My son is 5 and the poops don't "roll off" when he has an accident. They're "formed" when he goes in the toilet because his pants don't smush them. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)