Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Purple Princess

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM
  • 27 Replies

Gave Autumn some gentian violet. Hours after she started nursing. Hopefully it goes away. Applied it at 6am and my boobs and her mouth are fading a tad bit. Cant wait til this thrush is gone. I forgot if I was suppose to apply it once a day or twice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Aww!!

Put some vaseline or aquaphor around her mouth to keep it off her skin.

Here's some more info for you:

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/gvstains.html

Preventing and Removing Gentian Violet Stains

While Gentian Violet is regaining popularity as an effective treatment against oral, nipple/breast, and diaper area thrush, it can also result in unsightly purple staining. Take heart in knowing that the purple DOES go away, and relatively quickly , from both your's and your baby's skin. Following are some tried and true tips for preventing as much of the staining as possible and ideas on how to get those stains out that just couldn't be prevented!

Tips for preventing stains or lessening the worst of them:

• Only use 1-2 DROPS of gentian violet. Put it on a little dish and dip a swab in it. Then squeeze all you can from the swab before painting your baby's mouth with it. The baby should then be turned over onto his stomach so that a minimal amount of the solution is swallowed. If baby drools purple, you're using too much.

• Put lanolin, vaseline, or olive oil on baby's lips and around baby's mouth before swabbing with Gentian Violet. This will keep the solution from being absorbed into the skin so much.
  • Remove all of your clothing down to the waist before swabbing areolae. Undress baby to his diaper for mouth application.

• Wear nursing pads (disposable are best) inside bra to avoid staining it. You can also cut up old diapers, handkerchiefs, etc. to use as "makeshift" pads while you're using the Gentian Violet.

• Have burp cloths on hand for catching purple baby drool. If you have any of the disposable bed pads left over from your birth, these are great for putting under baby when you turn her on her tummy after painting her mouth with the the Gentian Violet.

• When you're using Gentian Violet, wear old clothes or things that can be easily bleached.
  • Removing Gentian Violet stains:

• Gentian Violet will rub off counters and skin with rubbing alcohol, if used immediately.

• Spray stained fabric with aerosol hair spray; then wash normally.

• One mom reported having good luck with ZOUT stain remover, even after the stains were dry. Another used Didi 7 with similar results. Any item that can be safely bleached with chlorine bleach should come clean.

• A cotton swab/ball with vodka can get stains off baby's face. Rinse vodka off immediately after cleaning stain. Rubbing alcohol will work on baby's face. too. One mom reported that baby wipes worked pretty well, too (she used Huggies Supreme Natural Care Unscented wipes).
    Cruz-s-mommy
    by Amanda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    Awww. Applying A&D ointment or lanolin aound babies mouth before treatment helps keep the staining to a minimum. You can apply the GV agsin as you notice it fading. :-) Good Luck!
    mama-smurf
    by Felisha on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    Thank you for this. I stained her apple onesie.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Aww!!

Put some vaseline or aquaphor around her mouth to keep it off her skin.

Here's some more info for you:

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/gvstains.html

Preventing and Removing Gentian Violet Stains

While Gentian Violet is regaining popularity as an effective treatment against oral, nipple/breast, and diaper area thrush, it can also result in unsightly purple staining. Take heart in knowing that the purple DOES go away, and relatively quickly , from both your's and your baby's skin. Following are some tried and true tips for preventing as much of the staining as possible and ideas on how to get those stains out that just couldn't be prevented!

Tips for preventing stains or lessening the worst of them:

• Only use 1-2 DROPS of gentian violet. Put it on a little dish and dip a swab in it. Then squeeze all you can from the swab before painting your baby's mouth with it. The baby should then be turned over onto his stomach so that a minimal amount of the solution is swallowed. If baby drools purple, you're using too much.

• Put lanolin, vaseline, or olive oil on baby's lips and around baby's mouth before swabbing with Gentian Violet. This will keep the solution from being absorbed into the skin so much.
  • Remove all of your clothing down to the waist before swabbing areolae. Undress baby to his diaper for mouth application.

• Wear nursing pads (disposable are best) inside bra to avoid staining it. You can also cut up old diapers, handkerchiefs, etc. to use as "makeshift" pads while you're using the Gentian Violet.

• Have burp cloths on hand for catching purple baby drool. If you have any of the disposable bed pads left over from your birth, these are great for putting under baby when you turn her on her tummy after painting her mouth with the the Gentian Violet.

• When you're using Gentian Violet, wear old clothes or things that can be easily bleached.
  • Removing Gentian Violet stains:

• Gentian Violet will rub off counters and skin with rubbing alcohol, if used immediately.

• Spray stained fabric with aerosol hair spray; then wash normally.

• One mom reported having good luck with ZOUT stain remover, even after the stains were dry. Another used Didi 7 with similar results. Any item that can be safely bleached with chlorine bleach should come clean.

• A cotton swab/ball with vodka can get stains off baby's face. Rinse vodka off immediately after cleaning stain. Rubbing alcohol will work on baby's face. too. One mom reported that baby wipes worked pretty well, too (she used Huggies Supreme Natural Care Unscented wipes).

• Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
    mama-smurf
    by Felisha on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    It won't overdose her?

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Awww. Applying A&D ointment or lanolin aound babies mouth before treatment helps keep the staining to a minimum. You can apply the GV agsin as you notice it fading. :-) Good Luck!

tabi_cat1023
    by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    aww purple boobie eatter!!. From now on coat anything you DONT want treated with lanolin..like around her mouth/chin etc. I did it twice a day.
    ChelseySpelsey
    by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    HAHAHAHAHA aaaawwww!!!! Baby!!!! I remember I had to paint my daughter's mouth purple!
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    mama-smurf
    by Felisha on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    Hmmm I think I'll do it twice then but I dot swab her mouth, I just paint my nipple. That works just as good?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

aww purple boobie eatter!!. From now on coat anything you DONT want treated with lanolin..like around her mouth/chin etc. I did it twice a day.

ceckyl
    by Kyla on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    Put lankn around her mouth, and then when she's fine eating clean her face with a baby wipe.
    Aandie
    by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    Hehe...I have a pic like that somewhere :)
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Cruz-s-mommy
    by Amanda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    No, what are you thinkibg will overdose her? You put the ointment around her mouth, not inside, the GV goes inside .

Quoting mama-smurf:

It won't overdose her?

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)