Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sleep training question

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM
  • 33 Replies

so my dd is a year old and we have decided to start sleep training her... since birth she has always co-slept... but with her growing size it and our full size bed, it seems more often than not my dh ends up on the couch. So tonight we started with bed time routine and instead of nursing her to sleep or dh rocking her to sleep we laid her down in her crib said good night and walked away...

we are doing the leave the room for 5 min come back in and comfort and leave for 6 min then come back in.... my question is she keeps standing up the second we walk away.... before we can even get out of the room.
what should we do about that... will she eventually just lay back down and go to sleep? is this normal?

also she seems to get more up set when we walk back in to comfort her... we don't pick her up just rub belly... is that normal?

I should note the crib is at the lowest setting so she can not fall out.

also any words of encouragement or success storys with using this method would be greatly appricated....

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Yes, it's normal. And yes, eventually she'll just lay down. But you may be expecting it about a year too early. We didn't really do this method; mine decided at about age two he didn't need to nurse at night and simply laid down and that was that. I'd tried sleep training methods starting at about six months, by eight months decided sleep training was for the birds and then let it be.
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This is pretty exactly what I was going to say, other than I never tried sleep training. It just never seemed right to me. I always say baby doesn't need to be taught to sleep, they sleep more when they need more sleep. I think it applies to going to sleep without nursing as well. Personally I think you are doing too much at one time. You need to decide on giving up the nursing or on moving her to her own bed. Doing both as once is alot for a baby that young to understand and deal with.

Quoting gdiamante:

Yes, it's normal. And yes, eventually she'll just lay down. But you may be expecting it about a year too early. We didn't really do this method; mine decided at about age two he didn't need to nurse at night and simply laid down and that was that. I'd tried sleep training methods starting at about six months, by eight months decided sleep training was for the birds and then let it be.

MaryJarrett
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
3 moms liked this
It's such an emotional change. Have you thought about taking it slower?
Cutting out either nursing OR bed sharing first, instead of together?
Or moving baby to her own bed in your room, then to her own room in a few months?
It's a big scary change for such a young child and pair that being denied her biggest comfort (nursing) and you have a recipe for a rough road.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I don't sleep train....I dont train my kids at all for anything. IMO, pets are for training, children are forteaching.

BabyFruit Ticker

maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Here's an alternative to putting her in her crib and walking away. A more gentle way to night wean a baby who has been cosleeping.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

FYI it is okay to nurse her to sleep then lay her down in her crib if you are okay with it!

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM
The problem is you're trying to night wean and teach her to sleep without you at the same time. As she is only a year old, that probably isn't going to work. You'll have to work on one thing at a time.
lillismom2012
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM
ThAnks for the replies... I guess I didn't say it right.
I am NOT night weaning. I am just trying to transition my dad to her crib
lillismom2012
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM
I guess I worded things wrong... I am not night weaning I am just attempting to get her into her crib.

Quoting jjchick75:

This is pretty exactly what I was going to say, other than I never tried sleep training. It just never seemed right to me. I always say baby doesn't need to be taught to sleep, they sleep more when they need more sleep. I think it applies to going to sleep without nursing as well. Personally I think you are doing too much at one time. You need to decide on giving up the nursing or on moving her to her own bed. Doing both as once is alot for a baby that young to understand and deal with.

Quoting gdiamante:

lillismom2012
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM
3 moms liked this
Then why would you even reply to this?

Quoting mamabens:

Sorry I don't sleep train....I dont train my kids at all for anything. IMO, pets are for training, children are forteaching.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM

if you just want her in her crib, then why not nurse/rock her and lay her in her crib?   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)