Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

16 & Pregnant and Breastfeeding

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM
  • 64 Replies

I got hulu the other day and have been watching 16 & Pregnant. Every episode Ive watched the mom attempts breastfeeding in the hosptal but once they go home, they switch to formula. Like 6oz bottles of formula. I dont see any time while they were pregnant taking any breastfeeding or parenting classes and no one even mentions breastfeeding to them and i wonder if anyone ever educated them on it or they educated themselves if they would have breastfed. Thoughts?

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindsayhoy0612
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM
How did anyone ever have kids without classes.... I don't watch any of that crap but I know plenty of teen moms that breast feed.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Without formula readly available and without health professionals pushing for supplementation at the first sign of struggle.you wanted your baby to live? You breastfed him/her. No alternative exc. a wet nurse maybe.

Quoting Lindsayhoy0612:

How did anyone ever have kids without classes.... I don't watch any of that crap but I know plenty of teen moms that breast feed.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I can't remember which one it was but one of the teen mom's on that show breastfed. It was a big problem because her baby daddy wanted to have the baby spend the night at his house when the baby was only a few weeks old & the mom wouldn't do it because she was breastfeeding. I personally know a teen mom who breastfed.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Because the general public is uneducated in breastfeeding as it is, and most parents no matter what age formula feed these days, that nobody is concerned as long as baby is being fed. Its also my impression that there is a myth that teenagers cant breastfeed because it hurts them more and their bodies arent developed enough to make the milk.
victoriangavin
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I call BS if your body is developed enough to make and have a baby it's developed enough to make milk. That's just onemore stupid excuse to not breastfeed

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Because the general public is uneducated in breastfeeding as it is, and most parents no matter what age formula feed these days, that nobody is concerned as long as baby is being fed. Its also my impression that there is a myth that teenagers cant breastfeed because it hurts them more and their bodies arent developed enough to make the milk.

Momma.x3
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
If Im correct there was two whom breastfed for a while. I use to watch the first sixteen and pregnant. But I stopped because i felt it didn't show all the truth. I was seventeen when I had my first and I breastfed him for two years four months. Nine months of those I was pregnant and after I had my second I breastfed both my children for a few months till my first weaned but my second is still breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beachlove512
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Actually my SIL was 16 when her daughter was born and her milk never came in. She's 19 now and still feels bad she couldn't breastfeed.

Quoting victoriangavin:

I call BS if your body is developed enough to make and have a baby it's developed enough to make milk. That's just onemore stupid excuse to not breastfeed

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Wow.... Never heard that. My mom successfully bf'd me when she was 15 years old and my brother at 19 years old.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I doubt it was her age. My mom bf'd me for a year when she was only 15 and had no problems.

Quoting beachlove512:

Actually my SIL was 16 when her daughter was born and her milk never came in. She's 19 now and still feels bad she couldn't breastfeed.

Quoting victoriangavin:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

beachlove512
by Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I'm not saying it was for sure her age. I was just pointing out that it is possible for a teen mom to not breastfeed because she never produced any milk.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I doubt it was her age. My mom bf'd me for a year when she was only 15 and had no problems.

Quoting beachlove512:

Quoting victoriangavin:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN