Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

A couple serious questions

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 10 Replies

I know they might seem dumb to some of you ladies, but I'm clueless when it comes to beastfeeding lol.

I formula fed my two girls, now aged 2 1/2 and 4. I had to go on certain medicine right after delivery and didn't feel safe breastfeeding them. Anyway.

I'm 16 weeks pregnant with our 3rd and want to breastfeed this one. At least, I hope it will work out.

I know when my milk dried up after having my girls, it was super painful and lots of leaking, is that still the case while you're breastfeeding too? Or is the engorging pain not so bad since you're getting rid of the milk on a daily basis? 

Another concern is pumping too. I know nothing about it, but heard it hurts? I might not pump as I'll be home with the kids anyway, but I'm worried about having 3 kids and getting up every 2 or so hours at night to feed. I'm also in college fulltime and don't want my grades to suffer because of being sleep deprived. With our girls, my husband and I took turns getting up, if I breastfeed, he obviously can't feed the baby at night anymore.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Pumping doesn't hurt if you have it set right. Mine has too fast and it did hurt but once I figured that out I could pump pain free.

As far as engorgement, once your milk regulates (around 4-6 weeks) you shouldn't be engorged very often. You body adjusts to what baby needs. If you are uncomfortable you can pump only to relieve the pressure.

As far as sleeping, I'm a big advocate for cosleeping. I nurse ds and never get out of bed. I don't even fully wake up. In the morning I feel very refreshed bc I've had a full nights sleep.

My best advice for bf successfully is to ask questions! There are no stupid questions and chances are that if you don't know the answer, there is someone else out there reading who also doesn't know :) I would try looking up a lll group too. I have found it is really encouraging to have support irl too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Thanks. I don't really want to co-sleep. When I'm out, I toss and turn like a mad man and I squish my cats most nights. I only slept with our girls once, our oldest daughter. We both just passed out lol. 

I dunno. I know it's better for the baby and everything, which is never why I chose not to with my girls, I didn't really have a choice then, but now I do.

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Pumping doesn't hurt if you have it set right. Mine has too fast and it did hurt but once I figured that out I could pump pain free.

As far as engorgement, once your milk regulates (around 4-6 weeks) you shouldn't be engorged very often. You body adjusts to what baby needs. If you are uncomfortable you can pump only to relieve the pressure.

As far as sleeping, I'm a big advocate for cosleeping. I nurse ds and never get out of bed. I don't even fully wake up. In the morning I feel very refreshed bc I've had a full nights sleep.

My best advice for bf successfully is to ask questions! There are no stupid questions and chances are that if you don't know the answer, there is someone else out there reading who also doesn't know :) I would try looking up a lll group too. I have found it is really encouraging to have support irl too.

CafeMom Tickers
Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM
In the future, if any dr or pharm says you have to stop nursing bc of a script drug, double check. Either ask this group, a lll leader, or call Dr Hale's hotline. Most know nothing about bf and many of us have heard horrible bf advice from our peds and our drs.

You can sidecar. That way baby is still super close but has his own space. No matter what I would keep baby near, just to make night nursing sessions quick and easy :)

Quoting EvilAsh:

Thanks. I don't really want to co-sleep. When I'm out, I toss and turn like a mad man and I squish my cats most nights. I only slept with our girls once, our oldest daughter. We both just passed out lol. 

I dunno. I know it's better for the baby and everything, which is never why I chose not to with my girls, I didn't really have a choice then, but now I do.

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

It was my own decision to not breastfeed. My doctor said it was safe and I didn't agree. I didn't want to take chances. 

Never thought of the co-sleeper thing. Duh. We already bought a bassinet, so I'll probably just set that right next to the bed or something.

Quoting Eliots_momma:

In the future, if any dr or pharm says you have to stop nursing bc of a script drug, double check. Either ask this group, a lll leader, or call Dr Hale's hotline. Most know nothing about bf and many of us have heard horrible bf advice from our peds and our drs.

You can sidecar. That way baby is still super close but has his own space. No matter what I would keep baby near, just to make night nursing sessions quick and easy :)

Quoting EvilAsh:

Quoting Eliots_momma:

CafeMom Tickers
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting EvilAsh:

I know they might seem dumb to some of you ladies, but I'm clueless when it comes to beastfeeding lol.

The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

I formula fed my two girls, now aged 2 1/2 and 4. I had to go on certain medicine right after delivery and didn't feel safe breastfeeding them. Anyway.

My mom's rule: Whenever you have a new baby, forget everything from before. Except diapering technique. Because everything will change.

I'm 16 weeks pregnant with our 3rd and want to breastfeed this one. At least, I hope it will work out.

Sometimes a little positivity will help. "It WILL work out." 

I know when my milk dried up after having my girls, it was super painful and lots of leaking, is that still the case while you're breastfeeding too? Or is the engorging pain not so bad since you're getting rid of the milk on a daily basis? 

You may still experience engorgement, but when you nurse on demand that helps bring things under control much more quickly.

Another concern is pumping too. I know nothing about it, but heard it hurts? I might not pump as I'll be home with the kids anyway,

Then absolutely positively no need to pump.

but I'm worried about having 3 kids and getting up every 2 or so hours at night to feed.

Even if you pumped you'd have to get up every two or three hours. You cannot sleep through or you'll get that awful engorgement.

I'm also in college fulltime

Hm. Correction then.. you will need to pump at school.

and don't want my grades to suffer because of being sleep deprived. With our girls, my husband and I took turns getting up, if I breastfeed, he obviously can't feed the baby at night anymore.

If he does, you have to get up to pump. The milk has to be removed on a regular basis.

More of my mom's wisdom: Death, taxes and never sleeping a full night again are our three guarantees as mom. And she FORMULA FED! No one breastfed adoptees in the 1960s!

Three kids and college is difficult no matter how you feed, so take a look at your school schedule to make it as easy as possible on yourself. No matter what you end up doing.

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I go to school online, not that it's easier than regular schooling. I have kids though, and sleep through the night, so I don't buy into that. With babies, yeah you don't sleep, but it gets easier.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting EvilAsh:

The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

My mom's rule: Whenever you have a new baby, forget everything from before. Except diapering technique. Because everything will change.

Sometimes a little positivity will help. "It WILL work out." 

You may still experience engorgement, but when you nurse on demand that helps bring things under control much more quickly.

Another concern is pumping too. I know nothing about it, but heard it hurts? I might not pump as I'll be home with the kids anyway,

Then absolutely positively no need to pump.

but I'm worried about having 3 kids and getting up every 2 or so hours at night to feed.

Even if you pumped you'd have to get up every two or three hours. You cannot sleep through or you'll get that awful engorgement.

I'm also in college fulltime

Hm. Correction then.. you will need to pump at school.

and don't want my grades to suffer because of being sleep deprived. With our girls, my husband and I took turns getting up, if I breastfeed, he obviously can't feed the baby at night anymore.

If he does, you have to get up to pump. The milk has to be removed on a regular basis.

More of my mom's wisdom: Death, taxes and never sleeping a full night again are our three guarantees as mom. And she FORMULA FED! No one breastfed adoptees in the 1960s!

Three kids and college is difficult no matter how you feed, so take a look at your school schedule to make it as easy as possible on yourself. No matter what you end up doing.

CafeMom Tickers
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Quoting EvilAsh:

I formula fed my two girls, now aged 2 1/2 and 4. I had to go on certain medicine right after delivery and didn't feel safe breastfeeding them. Anyway.I FF my older 2 boys mostly too..EBF my younger 2!

I'm 16 weeks pregnant with our 3rd and want to breastfeed this one. At least, I hope it will work out.be determined..its mind over matter

I know when my milk dried up after having my girls, it was super painful and lots of leaking, is that still the case while you're breastfeeding too? Or is the engorging pain not so bad since you're getting rid of the milk on a daily basis? engorgement is less of an issue when milk is being removed, the first few days after milk comes in you may be tender since milk comes in enough for 20 babies at first for some moms lol, but it will regulate and be fine

Another concern is pumping too. I know nothing about it, but heard it hurts?if it hurts then its done wrongw itht he wrong pump! or wrong size parts!I might not pump as I'll be home with the kids anyway, but I'm worried about having 3 kids and getting up every 2 or so hours at night to feed.colseep or learn how to side lie and nurse...have DAD get baby at night and bring him/her to you to nurse and return baby to their crib if you dont cosleep.I'm also in college fulltime and don't want my grades to suffer because of being sleep deprived.I work fulltime so I know how you feel With our girls, my husband and I took turns getting up, if I breastfeed, he obviously can't feed the baby at night anymore.NOPE but he can get up ad bring baby to you and take baby back..he can cuddle baby after nursing to at night!  Helps alot..just ask dad for what you need help wise.

Switching from FFing to BFing is mind over matter thing, it really is a big mental thing

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I have a 13 year old and don't sleep.

Of course, it has more to do with my husband (he doesn't sleep due to health issues) and the dog!

The online schooling does give you a lot of flexibility, so that's good.

Quoting EvilAsh:

I go to school online, not that it's easier than regular schooling. I have kids though, and sleep through the night, so I don't buy into that. With babies, yeah you don't sleep, but it gets easier.

oliver92
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

well i dont know if you co-sleep but this will help you be successful, and i pumped both times with a medela and ebf both my boys.  pumping was harder for me with 2nd ds and we just sorta gave up after 3 months of trying to pump, we have 3 other boys and i think whew all that time bf this time (I am 13 weeks)  will be really difficult with everyones schedules, it takes some adjustment for sure.  my boys all know ds 11, ss 11 ds 3 baby comes first!! and dh too... even though i am a sahm i will still try pumping again with my first i pumped so much he was still using supply after 2 yrs and it was wonderful to be able to offer that to him.  I wished i had that option for 2nd ds, so I will be ebf and pumping and ofcourse co sleeping with this baby too. we dont offer bottles, i only pump for the what ifs??

oliver92
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

oh I am sorry, didnt bother to answer your questions, LOL, pregnant brain, pumping was never painful, medela pis let me set my own pace and I was never engourged unless there was no way to feed baby when i needed to, but i would leak if he started crying and had waited to long. My nipples and area get dry so i use lanolyn (sp) A LOT, before, after whatever and atleast start using around the 36 week of pregnancy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)