Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this is going to hurt my supply?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 20 Replies

Little man (9 1/2 months) needs more milk than I can pump while at work. He needs 4- 3 oz bottles. This is taking in to consideration me feeding him, finishing our morning routine, getting him to daycare, my commute to work, work, my commute to daycare and the elementary school, getting home, getting all three kids in the house and somewhat settled. Using the 1 - 1.25 oz per every hour he is away from me we need (at most) 12.5 oz. We have found that 4 three oz bottles work best and keep him happy. He still wants to feed immediately upon getting hom, so I don't feel he is getting too much. My routine is not flexible.

I can pump usually 9 - 10 oz while at work, so I am 2 - 3 oz short. I am dipping into my freezer stash for this. Is that ok? Is it going to hurt my supply?

He feeds on both sides of the mornings, so pumping one side while he feeds on the other has not worked well for me. He is sleeping through the night. I can't add any extra pumping sessions at work. My freezer stash is more than adequate to accomodate this for a few months.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Try waking up maybe an hour before him in the morning. I had to do that with my DD to have enough milk. Going to your freezer like that will hurt your supply in the long run because your breast is not getting the message that 2-3 ozs more are needed each day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM

It could hurt supply...Do you pump FIRST thing in the mornig every morning? this added the 2-3 oz extra I needed

SadieJames
by Sarah on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Really the only thing you can do is either wake up in the middle of the night (but you probably won't get much) or pump on the weekends (not sure if you are) and waking up early to get an extra session.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM

How long is your commute? Can you pump on your way to and from work?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't matter that he feeds both sides in the morning. Pump while nursing ANYWAY. Been there done that routine! It was a requirement for me to do so seven days a week, every morning feeding. It was the ONLY way I could keep up... I had no freezer stash.

At his current age, you can also let the caregivers use more solids, if they've been introduced; you simply avoid them in the morning and evening and only give them yourself on the weekends.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Nate pump an hour or so before feeding him every morning?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Try adding a pumping session at night.
Midsummerdawn
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Okay this is probably not safe... So take it for what it's worth...  

I used to hook up that hands-free bra thing to my double electric pump and pump on the way home from work. While driving. I wore this cute shawl thing so nobody could see and I made sure it was all set up and going before I pulled out of my parking spot. I started doing it because I was so engorged I found myself driving carelessly in my hurry to get to daycare and get sucked out. And of course if someone gave him a bottle right before I got there I had to drive him with him in the car in the same desperate position.

Anyway, I used to get 6-8 ounces easy this way. And if he was hungry when I got to daycare, I always had a little left for him. And I had two bottles that I popped in the fridge for tomorrow. So I didn't have to remember to bring them in the morning. Actually, four. I also pumped at lunch.

ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM
I could be wrong, but my thinking is if you have enough freezer stash to get you through the next 2 months, go for it. Once you hit the year mark, you will no longer have to pump and leave milk. Only nurse when you are together.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Yes, taking from your freezer stash everyday WILL hurt your supply. Every day you are producing 2-3 ounces less than he needs.

At this age, if baby is taking solids well you could start to decrease the amount in the bottles a little and make up for it with solids. Baby may get all or most of his solids at daycare and little or none with you if you do this.

Another option is to add a pumping session first thing in the morning, 7 days a week. It would probably mean you'd need to get up 15 mintues earlier.

Can you sneak in a 5 minute pumping when you first arrive at work?

You can continue to pull from the freezer until you run out, then just send what you pump along with solids. He may need to nurse more frequently on days when you are home together if your supply goes down a bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)