Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning to almond milk?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

DS is 12 months and I'm ready to wean. I have been in need of my meds for several months now (and no, they truly cannot be taken while nursing). DS reacts to dairy (has eczema/reflux when I consume it plus he swells up and has mucous pouring from his nose if he eats it himself). The pediatrician recommended almond milk over soy. I understand why. I try not to take in too much soy myself.

But almond milk only has about 60 calories per serving (vs cows milk 120) and not as much protein.

Is almond milk the best alternative to cows?

Also, would I be entirely stupid to give him a bottle of it rather than a cup? I'm sort of in a rush to wean because I really need my meds. My other two kids were on bottles until they were about 18m (neither were ebf for quite as long because I worked).

Advice?

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Look into coconut milk. :) Also after one milk aside from BM is not actually necessary. Water is sufficient.

Glowing4Caleb
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Almond milk is a good option. You could also do coconut milk. My son prefers the almond over coconut because the texture of coconut is pretty thick. Either way, the Silk brand of both almond and coconut milk have 50% more calcium than cow's milk, so we try to stick to that brand! Try a sippy cup first or even a cup with a straw. If he won't take it, I dont see the harm in a bottle. Others may disagree. However, I found with both of my boys that at 12 months when I introduced other milks (than breastmilk) they took it right away with the other milk. When I had tried putting breastmilk in a sippy, neither one would take it. You might be surprised that they take to it ok!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

In your case, almond milk is a better alternative despite the calorie difference. Infants who react to dairy don't gain properly, so he might end up getting even LESS calories on cow's milk than on almond milk.

Of course, you can just wean to plain old water. No reason not to... the calories and nutrients needed would then come in the solids you give. Mine didn't like cow's milk at all.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM
How is he doing with solids? As long as the calories are adequate from all sources combined, he should be fine with the almond milk. Can he tolerate coconut oil or avocado?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Make sure he gets enough fat. Almond and other milk subs don't have enough fat and its so important for brain development.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Yogamom08
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Hemp milk is delicious and very good for you! Check it out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amandae21
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM

He loves avocado. I cook with coconut oil and haven't noticed a reaction in him. He is starting to become interested in solids. I've been really pushing it the last couple of weeks. He eats lots of certain things... like tonight we had spaghetti and he ate what I would consider a good, full meal. But usually he only eats a little bit of what I give him. Obviously I'm not going to wean until he's eating plenty, but I do want to start introducing almond/coconut milk.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

How is he doing with solids? As long as the calories are adequate from all sources combined, he should be fine with the almond milk. Can he tolerate coconut oil or avocado?

amandae21
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I cook with a lot of olive and coconut oil, so I think he'll be okay in that aspect. Thanks!!

Quoting norahsmommy:

Make sure he gets enough fat. Almond and other milk subs don't have enough fat and its so important for brain development.

amandae21
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I forgot about that one. Probably because I don't like it much. It's okay in smoothies but straight in a cup... :-/ notsomuch.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Look into coconut milk. :) Also after one milk aside from BM is not actually necessary. Water is sufficient.

angelbabies14
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM
My son also has a severe milk allergy. He also has severe almond allergy (and soy allergy) so our only option was either rice milk or coconut. We chose coconut because of the awesome benefits of coconuts. My son eats very well despite all his food allergies. My DD never had cows milk either, because frankly I don't believe children need cow's breast milk. I continued to nurse both but even if I hadn't I would not have chose cow's milk. Coconut milk is awesome. we use it for everything. Drinking, for cereal, baking, cooking etc... We buy So Delicious products and we all love them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN