Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, I'm new to the group and need help! *Edit*

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 42 Replies

I just had my baby girl 12 days ago and I thought we were nursing pretty good. I took her to her pedi and she is down to 9lbs from her 10lb6oz birth weight. She latches great. Her pedi is worried about her losing that much weight. She mentioned formula and I instantly started to get upset. I'm really refraining from it as long as I can. Been nursing as much and as long as she wants. 

I was wondering if any of you have any advise to up milk supply or really any tips or advise to help me. I think I have PPD and it's been really emotional for me because I've had my mind set on this from the beginning. Any help would be much appreciated!

**Postpartum depression is giving me doubts... It keeps telling me to give up. I went to Walgreens today for some Fenugreek and they don't carry it. She goes to the dr tomorrow (Saturday) to see how she is progressing. I'm really worried... I really want this to work out.

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LittleMomma_20
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I'm new also my son is 16 days old. I'm trying to get mine back up I quit then changed my mind I heard feeding often as u can helps milk production.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Right now your hormones are still trying to get back to normal. But for now check baby for a tongue tie or lip tie. That is a pretty big weight loss. How many diapers is she having? Before resorting to formula you can pump and give her your pumped milk in an sns, by cup feeding, spoon feeding, or syringe feeding. Also, do not time feedings. No clocks. Go to bed for 48 hours. Baby in a diaper and mommy topless. Every time the baby moves offer the breast. The ladies in this group are amazing! They helped me get my son back to the breast after 8 weeks of exclusively pumping. You came to the right place.
Sammybby09
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I retained a lot of water when I was pregnant, so I think some of her weight was water weight. She weighed 10lbs when we left the hospital. My pump isn't very good so I was thinking about self expressing later.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Right now your hormones are still trying to get back to normal. But for now check baby for a tongue tie or lip tie. That is a pretty big weight loss. How many diapers is she having? Before resorting to formula you can pump and give her your pumped milk in an sns, by cup feeding, spoon feeding, or syringe feeding. Also, do not time feedings. No clocks. Go to bed for 48 hours. Baby in a diaper and mommy topless. Every time the baby moves offer the breast. The ladies in this group are amazing! They helped me get my son back to the breast after 8 weeks of exclusively pumping. You came to the right place.

Sammybby09
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM

bumpppppppppppp

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM
It sounds like you're doing everything right. How many diapers a day? Just keep nursing and you'll both be fine. Make sure you eat too, my supply always takes a dip if I miss too many meals in a row.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sammybby09
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I changer her after every feeding unless the feedings are back to back. There's not really a lot of pee but that could be because I change her often.. Pedi said she should poo every 2-3 hours but she doesn't poop everyday.

Quoting polkaspots:

It sounds like you're doing everything right. How many diapers a day? Just keep nursing and you'll both be fine. Make sure you eat too, my supply always takes a dip if I miss too many meals in a row.

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Poop every 2-3 hours? Yeah that never happened. Bf babies don't even necessarily poop every day. It's not uncommon to go 3 days bc bm had so little waste. It's all used.

Check diapers should be at least 6 per day. See if she's still gaining weight. You can weigh at home every week. Just make sure she gains.
It's normal to lose at first. She lost a little more than expected but count diapers.

Quoting Sammybby09:

I changer her after every feeding unless the feedings are back to back. There's not really a lot of pee but that could be because I change her often.. Pedi said she should poo every 2-3 hours but she doesn't poop everyday.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM
She only needs 6-8 diapers a day (24 hour period) and not poopinng every dsy is NORMAL :-)

Quoting Sammybby09:

Quoting polkaspots:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM
After the black tar poop, breastfed babies don't all poop frequently. My son has been pooping every other day or two since he was about a week old. As long as she's having wet diapers and not constipated, it doesn't sound like you have a problem that a day or two of nursing constantly won't fix. A wet diaper is just that a diaper that gets when when she pees. Since you're changing her so frequently, she's not going to get a full diaper. Her bladder is really tiny still, so she's not going to fill up a diaper in two or three hours

Quoting Sammybby09:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM
9ozs for a 10lbs baby is not a high weight loss. Well within normal.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)