Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Goats milk

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 22 Replies
When giving a baby who is under 1 year goats milk to replace breast milk at times, do you give regular goats milk? I read somewhere about goat milk formula, but I wasn't really understanding the article. Someone help! I'm starting work again and I am complete unable to pump out anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Goat milk does not contain all the nutrients and it contains more...sodium? I want to say sodium. Therefore, it has to be diluted so baby's kidneys are not overworked. There are goat milk formulas that can be made that replace all the necessary nutrients but plain goat milk is not enough.
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I was actually wanting to post about this too. I have had two people recently tell me they couldn't bf and gave their baby raw goats milk instead of formula. I had never heard of this and was wondering in anyone had ever heard of it.
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Would you consider donor milk instead? That's probably the route I'd take.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Whitney, what pump and when? We might be able to come up with a solution. But no, not regular goat's milk.

Whitney15
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I've looked into it, and as far as I'm finding, I can just get it if my babe is in the hospital. Maybe more research is due.

My sister just had a baby a month ago, and she offered to help but she can only pump put an ounce at a time. We even tried having her latch onto my sister but she was NOT having that lol

Quoting eagerforbaby:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Formula or breastmilk only mama. Nothing else has enough nutrients to sustain a baby under a year. If you can answer G's questions ^^ maybe we can help you better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whitney15
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I have an avent electric double pump. I used to be able to pump out a huge amount but its just died down. And between school and stuff we have gone through the extra supply.

Quoting gdiamante:

Whitney, what pump and when? We might be able to come up with a solution. But no, not regular goat's milk.

eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Check face book eats on feets, and human milk for human babies.

Quoting Whitney15:

I've looked into it, and as far as I'm finding, I can just get it if my babe is in the hospital. Maybe more research is due.

My sister just had a baby a month ago, and she offered to help but she can only pump put an ounce at a time. We even tried having her latch onto my sister but she was NOT having that lol

Quoting eagerforbaby:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Define "huge amount" and "dying down?"  We expect to see only an ounce or two per session, and baby will need 1 - 1.25 ounces for every hour you're away, in servings of about 3 ounces. 4 ounces tops.

With that info... how are you doing?

Quoting Whitney15:

I have an avent electric double pump. I used to be able to pump out a huge amount but its just died down. And between school and stuff we have gone through the extra supply.

Quoting gdiamante:

Dawn07
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I substituted goats milk for my son when I was breast feeding. I found it at Walmart in the baking section. They have instructions on the can for how you need to mix it.
Goats milk of course will not have the same nutrients as breast milk but neither is it harmful.
It is used for under one because babies stomachs can handle and break it down the same as bm.
Just remember, if you are breast feeding, any missed feedings will be lost unless you are able to pump at those times.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN