Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
When giving a baby who is under 1 year goats milk to replace breast milk at times, do you give regular goats milk? I read somewhere about goat milk formula, but I wasn't really understanding the article. Someone help! I'm starting work again and I am complete unable to pump out anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
Whitney15
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM

For the longest time, she would eat on one breast for each feeding. At every feeding, I would pump out at least 3 oz, sometimes 4, from the other side. I am now pumping out maybe a half ounce any time I try. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Define "huge amount" and "dying down?"  We expect to see only an ounce or two per session, and baby will need 1 - 1.25 ounces for every hour you're away, in servings of about 3 ounces. 4 ounces tops.

With that info... how are you doing?

Quoting Whitney15:

I have an avent electric double pump. I used to be able to pump out a huge amount but its just died down. And between school and stuff we have gone through the extra supply.

Quoting gdiamante:

Whitney, what pump and when? We might be able to come up with a solution. But no, not regular goat's milk.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM

OK. 3-4 ounces from one side isn't something I'd expect you to maintain for any amount of time. Half an ounce to two ounces for BOTH SIDES put together is in the range of normal. So that's the good news. You're not in bad shape and don't need to consider the goat's milk.

To have enough... pump more often. Lots of small servings is fine. She doesn't need big bottles. If you're not doing it already, pump while nursing during EVERY morning feeding session when you're home. This encourages greater output. And do check all the pump parts to make sure nothing is torn; a hole in a piece of silicone can really impact pump performance.

Keep up your water; it's the raw material. You can also take a look at the info in the resources sticky; there's a post titled HOW TO INCREASE SUPPLY linked there.

Quoting Whitney15:

For the longest time, she would eat on one breast for each feeding. At every feeding, I would pump out at least 3 oz, sometimes 4, from the other side. I am now pumping out maybe a half ounce any time I try. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Define "huge amount" and "dying down?"  We expect to see only an ounce or two per session, and baby will need 1 - 1.25 ounces for every hour you're away, in servings of about 3 ounces. 4 ounces tops.

With that info... how are you doing?

Quoting Whitney15:

I have an avent electric double pump. I used to be able to pump out a huge amount but its just died down. And between school and stuff we have gone through the extra supply.

Quoting gdiamante:

Whitney, what pump and when? We might be able to come up with a solution. But no, not regular goat's milk.

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Actually, plain goat milk can be harmful because it needs to be diluted so baby's kidneys are not overworked. At about 9-12 months old is when it can be given to baby full strength but it can cause serious problems if given full strength before that point. There are goat milk formulas that can be used if substitution is necessary but plain goat milk is not good.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.mtcapra.com/discover-how-this-homemade-goat-milk-infant-formula-changed-my-daughters-life/#comments

Quoting Dawn07:

I substituted goats milk for my son when I was breast feeding. I found it at Walmart in the baking section. They have instructions on the can for how you need to mix it.

Goats milk of course will not have the same nutrients as breast milk but neither is it harmful.

It is used for under one because babies stomachs can handle and break it down the same as bm.

Just remember, if you are breast feeding, any missed feedings will be lost unless you are able to pump at those times.
Whitney15
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM

My babe is 11 mos old...so is it safe to give to her now? And that would be enough? I'm going to try and pump out enough, I just want to have a solid back up plan. 

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Actually, plain goat milk can be harmful because it needs to be diluted so baby's kidneys are not overworked. At about 9-12 months old is when it can be given to baby full strength but it can cause serious problems if given full strength before that point. There are goat milk formulas that can be used if substitution is necessary but plain goat milk is not good.

Here is a link for you:

http://www.mtcapra.com/discover-how-this-homemade-goat-milk-infant-formula-changed-my-daughters-life/#comments

Quoting Dawn07:

I substituted goats milk for my son when I was breast feeding. I found it at Walmart in the baking section. They have instructions on the can for how you need to mix it.

Goats milk of course will not have the same nutrients as breast milk but neither is it harmful.

It is used for under one because babies stomachs can handle and break it down the same as bm.

Just remember, if you are breast feeding, any missed feedings will be lost unless you are able to pump at those times.

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I am not sure what I would do. I guess it would depend on how baby was eating and nursing otherwise. The recipe in the link I gave is for 8oz amounts so I would probably just keep doing that, just to be on the safe side.

Quoting Whitney15:

My babe is 11 mos old...so is it safe to give to her now? And that would be enough? I'm going to try and pump out enough, I just want to have a solid back up plan. 

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Here is a link for you:

Quoting Dawn07:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM

How soon are you going back to work?

At eleven months, the caregiver can give more solids and you give less (or none at all) when you're home on work days. Then you nurse and give solids on your days off. 

Whitney15
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Very soon! I wasn't supposed to be starting for 2 more weeks, but apparently the person I'm replacing just stopped coming to work. All day today, I've just been pumping away! Still don't have a lot, but I've got some lol 

Quoting gdiamante:

How soon are you going back to work?

At eleven months, the caregiver can give more solids and you give less (or none at all) when you're home on work days. Then you nurse and give solids on your days off. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I went back with ONE day's worth, and mine was only ten weeks old. We didn't have the option of solids... so you're a bit ahead of me.

One really important rule: If you are present, you nurse. Never give a bottle unlesss you're not there.

Whitney15
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Oh, I don't! I'm not sure what she would do if I tried to give her a bottle! Thank you SO much for all of your help :) 

Quoting gdiamante:

I went back with ONE day's worth, and mine was only ten weeks old. We didn't have the option of solids... so you're a bit ahead of me.

One really important rule: If you are present, you nurse. Never give a bottle unlesss you're not there.

stayinhomemommy
by Heather on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I am nursing triplets and have a HUGE stockpile of milk due to my body getting used to how much milk to produce for 3.  The oldest amount in freezer is from 5 months ago.  I would gladly send some to you if someone could share with me how to do that safely and leagally if you would like.  Each bag is about 6 ounces though a few are 4 or 5 ounces.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)