Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Too late for bf classes, what do I do??!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 32 Replies

Hey moms! 

I'm currently 33 weeks w/ my first, due 5/1/13. 

I called up to the hospital I'm delivering at and they're all booked up on bf classes. Since I'm new to bf and a ftm I'm totally lost now. 
What other resources are out there? What should I do? My mom mentioned something about the La Leche League. Should I call them? What can they do for me?

I'd hate to wait until the baby is actually born to navigate/learn about bf.

THANKS!!! (: 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angeleyes16
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I never went to a bf class. I got loads of advice from here and kellysmom. Luckily I had a pretty easy time with ds after the first two weeks. Those days are the hardest. You have a million concerns. Is he getting enough? Do I produces enough, too much? Babies don't always get the latching down pat right away either, so my nips were very sore. Invest into some bf good lotion. Gl momma. 

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM
LLL is a great suppor group, call them. Also read up on everything at kellymom.com

Also ask as many questions here as you want and need
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Quoting kdloves.:

Hey moms! 

I'm currently 33 weeks w/ my first, due 5/1/13. 

I called up to the hospital I'm delivering at and they're all booked up on bf classes. Since I'm new to bf and a ftm I'm totally lost now. 

It's OK. A lot of hospital breastfeeding classes really wind up not being that good. Hie thee to the bookstore for a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. It's an easy read, covers everything in the classes and more. I recommend it over classes if you have to choose one or the other.

Check out our resources sticky in this group. And check out kellymom.com.

And ask questions! The only dumb one is the one you were too afraid to ask!

What other resources are out there? What should I do? My mom mentioned something about the La Leche League. Should I call them? What can they do for me?

Most of the same things a brestfeeding class can do! Yes, call. See when they have a meeting coming up. LLL can be an excellent resource.

I'd hate to wait until the baby is actually born to navigate/learn about bf.

Well, this is one lesson you can pass on to other moms to be, since you've learned the hard way. **smile** The only thing baby cares about when s/he arrives is eating... so learning about feeding should be job 1. The nursery can be Winnie the Pooh or World of Warcraft... baby doesn't care about that, or whether you dress him/her in identical onesies every day of the week. 

THANKS!!! (: 

You're going to be fine, really! We've worked with moms who haven't learned a thing till after delivery, too. A lot of this is trial and error. 

Welcome!

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Just pick up a book or two, hang out and lurk around here... ask questions (even if they seem silly).   You'll be fine.  

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, call la leche league!
Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM

You can try calling WIC, our office here does BF classes and support.

Congrats!

aligpd
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:46 AM

LLL may have a group you can go do as well as a great website to learn from.  Other wonderful sites are:

http://www.breastfeedingusa.org/

http://www.kellymom.com/

Find a support group in your area to attend before baby arrives.  Also, if you are on Facebook, look up the NNIPL, the Badass Breastfeeder and Breastfeeding USA.  They all have lots of good info and other moms to talk to. 

You are doing great, just by trying to learn before your precious bundle arrives! 

greentealover18
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I never went to any classes or read much about bf either. I got soo much help from the LC (shout out to Anne-Marie my savior!!) at the hospital after ds was born. my advice, read as much as you can now & don't be afraid to ask the nurses & LC for help! also don't be surprised when they grab your boobs lol they opt for hands on teaching :)
hlzcmjzajz
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM
I never made it to bf classes either... I had it scheduled, but my ds decided to come way too early so I didn't make it. The hospital I delivered in had wonderful lactation consultants who helped me out with everything I needed to know- they showed how to pump correctly & for how long; & when I was finally able to actually nurse him, they were right there helping me get him latched & checking up on us to make sure we were ok. Once we went home, they called every week for the first month to check on us. We made it to 10 months & I'm at 13 months now with my dd!
I'd check with your hospital, they should hopefully have lactation consultants who will be a big help; & definitely contact La Leche League too! Good luck! :)
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:39 AM
I learned everything i know about breastfeeding in here and from kellymom :) just hang around! These ladies are awesome. Lll is great too if you want to join
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN