Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Am I running out of milk?!?!

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM
  • 13 Replies
My little one has been all the boob all night. Every time I set her down (after falling asleep and my nipple comes out) she starts screaming and acting like she is starving. My bf was like maybe she isn't getting anything. So I took a hot shower which usually my milk is pouring out when I get out. Well I put her on one side and pumped the other. Then switched and I got maybe an oz or 2!!! Does this mean I don't have any milk left?! How long till they fill? This was my first time pumping cuz I was told not to pump till 3 weeks. So all I have is my boobs!! ;(((
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM
How old is she?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kadiee
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM
9 days

Quoting Eliots_momma:

How old is she?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM

UNLIKELY to your title question. Let's take a look.

Quoting kadiee:

My little one has been all the boob all night.
How old? In the newborn stage it's to be expected. Also at growth spurt intervals (usually divisible by three).
Every time I set her down (after falling asleep and my nipple comes out) she starts screaming and acting like she is starving.
Ah.. I susepct we're scoming up on a spurt... and I'm gonna guess three weeks because it's one of the worst. True test of bonding. 
My bf was like maybe she isn't getting anything. So I took a hot shower which usually my milk is pouring out when I get out. Well I put her on one side and pumped the other. Then switched and I got maybe an oz or 2!!!
Means NOTHING. But an ounce is normal output. So's half an ounce. More is massive oversupply.
Does this mean I don't have any milk left?! How long till they fill?
They don't. They're factories NOT storage units. Put her to breast. LEAVE her there. You may be regulating. 
This was my first time pumping cuz I was told not to pump till 3 weeks. So all I have is my boobs!! ;(((

Just put her there LEAVE her there. So coming up on three weeks? Yep. Normal! Nothing at all wrong.

Remember, the only thing that matters is the number of dipes you change. Baby will be an utter pain in the butt. That's good.

You're fine and normal.

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw the age. yes, also normal at nine days. 

Whoever called infants "bundles of joy" never LIVED with one. Real babies are smelly noisy and demanding. If they were adults they'd be pariahs. **grin**

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM

You have plenty of milk. Just let her stay on the breast. It's totally normal behavior for newbies to live on the breast pretty much 24/7 the first 6 weeks or so. That is how they tell your body how much milk to make for them. It gets very tiring, but it pays off in the long run when you have an awesome supply for her:)  Do lots of skin to skin and offer the breast anytime she wants it. Diaper count tells you if she's getting enough. Look for 6-8 in 24 hours (soaked and poo count as two.)

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM

No, you are not running out of milk. Your supply is adjusting to meet baby's needs. That time period when milk flows out of your breasts when you are in the shower, that usually only happens the first week when your milk first "comes in".

How baby acts, and how your breasts feel are not good indicators of milk supply. The amount you pumped was normal for someone with a full supply, however pump output is also a poor indicator. You can have enough milk for triplets and not be able to pump a drop. Your body does nto respond to the pump the same way it does a baby.

At 9 days old your baby's stomach can hold about 1.5-2 ounces. That would be a full feeding for your baby, no more than 2 oz.

The best indication that baby is getting enough at this age (if baby is getting enough you are making enough) is diaper output. Did baby have at least 6 pees and 4 poops in the last 24 hrs? If so, then baby is getting enough and you are making enough.

Assuming yoru baby had initial weight loss in the nnormal range she should be back up to her birth weight at around 2 weeks old. That is another sign baby is getting enough.

Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM
It sounds like your milk might be regulating to your baby's needs. This usually happenes around 4-6 weeks.

It could be a growth spurt too. From birth to 6 weeks all mine wanted was boob :)

As far as pumping goes, output isn't a good indication of how much milk you have. Normal is .5-2 oz per session combined. Pumps just aren't as effective as babies.

They don't need to fill up either. Milk production is like a tickle. It is always being made so you are never empty and baby will get some. Whenever you feel empty the milk baby is getting tends to be fattier and its the more satisfying hindmilk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kadiee
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Ok. She seems good now. And probably just had her 5th poo diaper (she actually had trouble with this one I think that's why she was so fussy). I usually put her on and leave her there till she falls asleep and she will wake up and want more and it goes on lol. I've learned not to time anything (from this group :) )

Quoting fortressmom:

You have plenty of milk. Just let her stay on the breast. It's totally normal behavior for newbies to live on the breast pretty much 24/7 the first 6 weeks or so. That is how they tell your body how much milk to make for them. It gets very tiring, but it pays off in the long run when you have an awesome supply for her:)  Do lots of skin to skin and offer the breast anytime she wants it. Diaper count tells you if she's getting enough. Look for 6-8 in 24 hours (soaked and poo count as two.)

kadiee
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Yes my boobs used to get engorged, I'd say maybe at a week they got soft and would only get half way huge and hard. So I'm guessing they regulated to her needs.

Quoting gdiamante:

UNLIKELY to your title question. Let's take a look.

Quoting kadiee:

My little one has been all the boob all night.
How old? In the newborn stage it's to be expected. Also at growth spurt intervals (usually divisible by three).
Every time I set her down (after falling asleep and my nipple comes out) she starts screaming and acting like she is starving.
Ah.. I susepct we're scoming up on a spurt... and I'm gonna guess three weeks because it's one of the worst. True test of bonding. 
My bf was like maybe she isn't getting anything. So I took a hot shower which usually my milk is pouring out when I get out. Well I put her on one side and pumped the other. Then switched and I got maybe an oz or 2!!!
Means NOTHING. But an ounce is normal output. So's half an ounce. More is massive oversupply.
Does this mean I don't have any milk left?! How long till they fill?
They don't. They're factories NOT storage units. Put her to breast. LEAVE her there. You may be regulating. 
This was my first time pumping cuz I was told not to pump till 3 weeks. So all I have is my boobs!! ;(((

Just put her there LEAVE her there. So coming up on three weeks? Yep. Normal! Nothing at all wrong.

Remember, the only thing that matters is the number of dipes you change. Baby will be an utter pain in the butt. That's good.

You're fine and normal.

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw the age. yes, also normal at nine days. 

Whoever called infants "bundles of joy" never LIVED with one. Real babies are smelly noisy and demanding. If they were adults they'd be pariahs. **grin**

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Normal!
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Aaah! Still a brand newbie! She's in this big scary world and your Areola smells like amniotic fluid which = home to her. Wanting to stay attached is biologically best because 1.) it's comforting to her and 2.) it tells your body to build up supply. .5-2oz combined is NORMAL for a MISSED Feeding and tells you nothing about your supply. From here on out as long as your changing 6-8 dipes a day (super soaked and poops count as two) your supply is fine.

Congrats you're doing great, and soon you'll be wondering why they don't want to stay on your lap for more than 30 seconds! I promise this phase doesn't last forever!

Quoting kadiee:

9 days

Quoting Eliots_momma:

How old is she?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN