Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you share the load?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 26 Replies
My husband was working out of town M-F for the first nine months of our baby's life and now that he's working in town (temporarily) I'm having trouble adjusting. I'm still nursing so I'm used to getting up through the night and he's used to sleeping. I'm starting to feel run down and don't want to be resentful. I would love some tips on how couples who breastfeed handle sharing responsibilities. I don't know where to start but I know something has to change. I know every couple is different but I'd like to hear some things that work for you. I appreciate your input! Thanks!
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tbursac777
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM

we don't. he's been trying.. like.. I'll get up and feed him, and he'll rock him back to sleep. or after i feed him, he takes him. so that helps.. but that's about it.

KJH78
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Both my husband and I work full-time and when I nursed our daughter I got up 2-3 times a night to feed her until she was a little over a year old. If you wanted to have him prepare a bottle and do a feeding you can do that, but I know that I would not have slept while he was up  feeding her anyway. So is it the middle of the night part you want help with or other things that can be done during waking hours? Do you work outside the home?

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM
When dd was a newbie dh helped with house stuff and I took care of baby stuff. (Ie he did dishes, laundry, etc. I paid bills, and fed baby. If he was home at bedtime he would do bath to give me a break (or all 3 of us would take one together) when we didn't co sleep he would get up in the middle of the night and bring dd to me (that stopped around 2 months when we had mastered the side lying nurse though).

Now that Dd is 15 and dh is working overninght he is only home for less than 7 hrs between shifts so I am left doing all the house and baby stuff again and the hardest thing is getting out the door in the morning on days she doesn't sleep well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

DH would do bath time in the evening. He'd take baby upstairs, give him a bath, get him in his jammies etc. It would give me close to an hour to myslef to in the evening.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Dh helps with baths, sometimes after i nurse him he'll rock him to sleep, he helps a ton with our older son so that i can have more time to do what the baby needs from me. I still do the majority of the work because he works overtime every week and i'm a sahm. Sucks but it is how it is.
Kimberly954
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I have 2 kids so DH is in charge of the 3 y/o while i am in charge of the baby. There really isnt anything he can do in the night with feeding. On a rare occassion, i make him get up to change a night time diaper.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM
My DH always went to the baby's room & brought her to me in the middle of the night. She stayed in our bed from then until morning.

He also helped by washing pump parts & with bath time & diaper changes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GE1
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM

We share the responsibilities since we both wake up. DH brings him to our bed, I nurse him and when he is done, DH puts him back in his crib. Since I am at home with him all day my husband takes over at night if he cannot fall back to sleep after his milk

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I'm solo in any nighttime activities. The hubby does bath time and helps around the house. He also handles solid food meals. There are lots of ways for him to contribute.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Dad does everything that I don't absolutely HAVE to do. My husband did the cooking and his own laundry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)