Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

eating alot ***edit***

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 6 Replies
My almost 4 week old baby is eating so much i dont know how much to leave with her everyday when i go back to work in April. She can eat for 20-30 min each side and wanna eat again in an hour. I have no clue why she is eating so much and she uses my breast as a pacifier as a way of soothing herself. Sorry i ask so much but my older two where not breastfeed i pumped for a few weeks with my ds but im trying for a year with my new dd

Edit My dd has been on my on my breast for a hour or more normal please i feel dumb asking but i dont know
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM
When you go baxk to work leave about 1 oz every hour yoy are gone, bottles about 1-3 oz t be given every two hours. At home nurse on demand. If your baby has a high sucking need, maybe leave a pacifier or something for her to suck while you are away, but when you are together just nurse on demand
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
This is normal. Rule of thumb is 1-1.25 oz per hour of seeperation in bottles no larger than 3 oz. More is never needed.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting lextjmom0709:

My almost 4 week old baby is eating so much i dont know how much to leave with her everyday when i go back to work in April.
NO MATTER WHAT... it's 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour you're apart. So for an eight hour day, 8-10 ounces. NO MATTER WHAT! The bottle is famine. The breast is feast.
She can eat for 20-30 min each side and wanna eat again in an hour.
NORMAL!
I have no clue why she is eating so much and she uses my breast as a pacifier
Pacifiers are breast replacements, remember. I'd be very worried about a three week old who DOESN'T do this!
as a way of soothing herself. Sorry i ask so much but my older two where not breastfeed i pumped for a few weeks with my ds but im trying for a year with my new dd

You're doing fine. Put her to breast. LEAVE her there. That's how it works. Count those dipes. 6-8 changes per day.

And be warned: She's about to inconsiderately outgrow eveything she's been wearing! Thios is growth spurt time and everything you describe is expected. And will happen again in another three weeks.

lextjmom0709
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Thanks i just don't want to starve her if i don't leave enough
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Nope. Leave the 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour. And be warned of this too... she may take NOTHING while you're away. It's called reverse cycling and is very normal. Lots of babies don't want the bottle, they want mom and they'll tank up at the breast when mom's home. It's fine and not at all harmful.

Quoting lextjmom0709:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM
My 9 month old still only drinks 2 oz every 2 hours.... no matter how much is inside the bottle. She will not starve and she will make up for it later when you are together.

Quoting lextjmom0709:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)