Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

working and pumping....

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 37 Replies
I am trying my best to find a job ( i was let got around 22 weeks pregnant because i kept passing out at work) long story short i have a college degree going to waste because i cant find a decent job...but i might be able to get my crappy, waitress job back.

My question is for the moms that have been able to still EBF while working? I know legally i get breaks to pump and a place to do it blah, blah, blah. Realistically i need to know if i can still ebf with only one 15 minute pump break a day. My shift is 7 hours plus an hour to an hour and a half there and back so 8.5 hours with only one pumping...an i going to have to give up bf-ing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
No, you don't have to give up bfing, I would pump again before heading hone so u get in 2 sessions and then nurse upon arrival. Also its not all or nothing, you can nurse at home and supplement during seperation from baby. Your LO needs about 1 oz per hour u are gone.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
First of all, you don't have to go straight from EBF to no BF. There's a huge middle ground :-)

To answer your question, I highly doubt that only one pump break a day will do the job. Most moms need 3 breaks a day for full-time work. *I* was able to make 2 pump breaks work, but I respond easily to a pump and have an oversupply.

Bottom line, pump what you can pump and make up the difference with donor milk or formula. That doesn't mean you don't still strictly BF when you aren't working!
If your baby is taking in more than you can pump in your absence, it's INFINITELY more important that you adhere yo the ounce per hour rule religiously.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Also pump first thing in the morning while baby nurses on the other side.
damselle
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Regarding supplementing with formula, would a baby need a bigger bottle of formula than they would usually take of milk due to its different composition?  Also how would one's supply react on the weekends?  Would you need to keep the same schedule on days when you are not working or would the supply be able to increase over the non-working days without causing engorgement on work days?

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM
You would want to keep the smaller bottles, even with doing formula. Also still nurse on demand, even on days off. You just may notice that baby wants to nurse more frequently on days off then normal. M-F I only get to pump 1 time at work since I only work 6 hour days. On weekends I nurse like normal. I also followed his lead in the fact I nurse before I leave and as soon as I'm home and he only takes 1 bottle that's 3ozs when I'm gone. I can easily get 3ozs in my morning season combined with the 1 at work.

OP, maybe encourage reverse cycling for when your gone. Then you won't need as much milk and wit have to squeeze in extra sessions.

Quoting damselle:

Regarding supplementing with formula, would a baby need a bigger bottle of formula than they would usually take of milk due to its different composition?  Also how would one's supply react on the weekends?  Would you need to keep the same schedule on days when you are not working or would the supply be able to increase over the non-working days without causing engorgement on work days?

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Now, it's super extra important to keep the bottles small with formula. It's harder to digest and has a heavier feeling for one, and baby is still getting the bulk of their nutrition from breastmilk.

You still BF on demand on days off, your body & baby will adjust.

Quoting damselle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Yes, you can still breastfeed with one pump per day. Though formula may c ome into the mix because you likely will not be able to pump enough. 

You don't have to give up. It needn't be all one or the other. 

But out of curiousity: What's your degree in?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Quoting damselle:

Regarding supplementing with formula, would a baby need a bigger bottle of formula than they would usually take of milk due to its different composition?

No. Actually keep the formula bottles small. Bottle = famine. Breast = feast. Baby can be taught to reverse cycle and do most feeding when mom is home.

Also how would one's supply react on the weekends?

Milk is made when it's demanded. The body knows no differences.

Would you need to keep the same schedule on days when you are not working or would the supply be able to increase over the non-working days without causing engorgement on work days?

No schedules needed. The reason formula would come into play is simply having enough on hand while mom's at work, no other reason. Supply adjusts, always.

NHGal
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM

The other option that I didn't see given was if you were comfortable with it and were able to do it safely, you could pump while driving to and from work.  Good luck!

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM
You can also get a good double electric pump and pump on the way to work and on the way home using batteries or a car charger.

Don't you also get a lunch in addition to one break?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)