Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I Know the Answer, but need encouragement. :)

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:41 AM
  • 19 Replies

I was looking at Charlotte's weight and I know that stalling is normal. To be honest I cheated and had her stand on a regular scale, so most likely it's off and she's fine, but she's been dropping percentiles very fast. I know it doesn't matter, but I'm going to a new ped (didn't like this last one) and am trying to figure out if there would be a reason for her to (if it's correct---it feels correct she doesn't feel like she's getting heavier) to have gained only 8-12 oz since her apt. at the beginning of January. Her lowest weight was 6lbs 8oz last apt was 16lbs 12 oz and the "weight" today was 17lbs 4oz (I'd estimate between 17lbs and 17lbs 8oz (I'm fairly good at weight estimation so I think I'm close). I know about Jay Gordon and watching the baby. She eats very little solids (as in a few bites) and nurses around the clock (no timing or schedules, though I have been guilty of delay/distract but not that often and she nurses through the night). She has been walking for about a month, and is learning some words like ba "ball" and a few more. She's usually very happy and smiling as well. Intellectually I know she's fine, but I just need a reminder. :) Thanks ladies!

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedMammaof2
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Stop worrying. Using a different scale is probably throwing the weight off. Just to give you an idea. My breasted son was born 8 lbs 12 oz. and was 20 lbs 4 oz by 6 months of age. He will be two on the 25th and is at 26 lbs. If that shows you how much his weight has slowed in the past 18 months. Though he's also grown 10". He eats very well outside of nursing and is very active but has not maintain his weight percentiles.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. :)

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

Stop worrying. Using a different scale is probably throwing the weight off. Just to give you an idea. My breasted son was born 8 lbs 12 oz. and was 20 lbs 4 oz by 6 months of age. He will be two on the 25th and is at 26 lbs. If that shows you how much his weight has slowed in the past 18 months. Though he's also grown 10". He eats very well outside of nursing and is very active but has not maintain his weight percentiles.

ferne3
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree - scales are terribly off all the time - and the difference is often a few pounds!  Also - is your ped using the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) %'s or the World Health Organization (WHO) growth charts for comparison?  Most peds in the US use the AAP  - which is based upon the averages of US babies and done at a time most babiest were formula fed - and formula fed babies gain weight in a different way than BF babies.  The WHO's charts are used internationally but often not used by US peds, however is based upon BF babies, therefore are a better indicator of how your LO is doing if you EBF.  Although peds use those %'s as a tool to see where our kiddos are for healthy weight gain - they seemt o stress too many mommas out.  I pretty much ignore them.  Is your LO happy?  Pooping and peeing on a regular basis?   I wouldn't worry too much.  Those are just an average of other babies.

My DD's tall for her age and even when she obviously was gong through growth spurts and looked skinny, our ped would just look at the %'s and say  - oh she may be gaining weight too much.  But, if you compared her gains in height and weight, her height was shooting up much faster than her weight and so the reason for her weight gain was obvious.  Her height went from 25th percentile to 95th percentile within a few months, but her weight went from 15th percentile to 40th percentile.   I quickly stopped paying attention to %'s as anything more than anecdotal.

MonicaV1982
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Last ped it was WHO, but I'm switching. They have an LC on staff so I'm hoping that means WHO again. I plot her on the WHO chart as well.

Quoting ferne3:

I agree - scales are terribly off all the time - and the difference is often a few pounds!  Also - is your ped using the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) %'s or the World Health Organization (WHO) growth charts for comparison?  Most peds in the US use the AAP  - which is based upon the averages of US babies and done at a time most babiest were fromula fed - and formula fed babies gain weight in a different way than BF babies.  The WHO's charts are used internationally but often not used by US peds, however is based upon BF babies, therefore are a better indicator of how your LO is doing in you EBF.  Although peds use those %'s as a tool to see where our kiddos are for healthy weight gain - they seemt o stress too many mommas out.  I pretty much ignore them.  Is your LO happy?  Pooping and peeing on a regular basis?   I wouldn't worry too much.  Those are just an average of other babies.

My DD's tall for her age and even when she obviously was gong through growth spurts and looked skinny, our ped would just look at the %'s and say  - oh she may be gaining weight too much.  But, if you compared her gains in height and weight, her height was shooting up much faster than her weight and so the reason for her weight gain was obvious.  Her height went from 25th percentile to 95th percentile within a few months, but her weight went from 15th percentile to 40th percentile.   I quickly stopped paying attention to %'s as anything more than anecdotal.

austinsmama1106
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM
My older dd was 21 lbs by 6 months but only 24 at 1 year. As she moved she gained less. At 2, she was 28 lbs and at almost 3 she is almost 32 lbs. No worries just keep feeding her!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Scales are LIARS. At this point, be looking at development instead of weight.

Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I hate scales! They have given me nothing but trouble!

As a mom you would know if something was off about your child. She is playing, learning and gaining new skills. She is perfectly where she needs to be!

Stop worrying :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Girl, you know better! ;-)
eema.gray
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Our babies aren't far apart in age. Mine isn't quite walking yet but she has a working vocabulary of about a dozen words. At a year of age, we watch development more than weight, especially percentiles of weight, which are prety much useless. :-)
BoxxyBabee
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM

How old is your baby? My 8mo is not even 14lbs yet. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN