Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hair and breastfeeding

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 14 Replies

Sorry for all the questions ,but what kind of oils or supplements can I use for my hair while I am breastfeeding? Should I be taking a prenatal vitamin and calcium? I have noticed that my hair has gotten super thin from the top since giving birth and I would like to take something to help. My son will be 6 months old on the 1st of April.

Thanks

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntkissy
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Don't feel bad! Mine has been falling out for 2 months! :( I feel like I am going to be bald soon! My friend told me that there's a shampoo I can use to help with my hair thinning. I do believe we are supposed to still take prenatals. I drink Almond Milk and it has plenty of calcium! Sorry I couldn't be more help. You're not alone!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM
All women lose hair postpartum, completely unrelated to breastfeeding. It's because when you're pregnant you shed less hair, then typically around 4-6 postpartum, there's a catchup. For me its hit like clockwork at 4 months, all 4 times, especially on the sides if my head. You can take vitamins and biotin and the usual but there is nothing you can do to stop the process of those hormones.
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM

The hair will stop falling out. It will grow back. You won't go bald. Mine got very thin on the top and sides. It grew back, now it looks like I have bangs (that is how much fell out). I did have great hair while preg!

Jenoon
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I had really thick hair when I was pregnant...my normal hair is not thin and not thick so its depressing to see soo much fall :(

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

The hair will stop falling out. It will grow back. You won't go bald. Mine got very thin on the top and sides. It grew back, now it looks like I have bangs (that is how much fell out). I did have great hair while preg!

Jenoon
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Thanks! I know its unrelated to breastfeeding. I wanted to know what I can take that is safe while breastfeeding and if I still need to take vitamins and if that would help with the thinning.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

All women lose hair postpartum, completely unrelated to breastfeeding. It's because when you're pregnant you shed less hair, then typically around 4-6 postpartum, there's a catchup. For me its hit like clockwork at 4 months, all 4 times, especially on the sides if my head. You can take vitamins and biotin and the usual but there is nothing you can do to stop the process of those hormones.

Jenoon
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM

:) Thanks! Can you let me know the name of the shampoo please.

Quoting auntkissy:

Don't feel bad! Mine has been falling out for 2 months! :( I feel like I am going to be bald soon! My friend told me that there's a shampoo I can use to help with my hair thinning. I do believe we are supposed to still take prenatals. I drink Almond Milk and it has plenty of calcium! Sorry I couldn't be more help. You're not alone!

AleaKat
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Never heard of this. I never lost hair after birth or while breastfeeding.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM
My baby was 6 months march 1, and my hair has made a definite turn around this month. Just stopping falling out as bad, I'd expect it to starting growing back in soon.
blessedtohave7
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM
My son will be 9 months soon and i still have thinning hair on the top...it looks a lot better than it did a few months ago...try not to pull your hair back as much that will only add to the breakage
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Having been there done that thanks to stress related thinning... nothing really works. I took Vit D and Biotin, then I tried a hair and nails formula. AND I tried shampoos. The loss continued until I gave up my second job. Within a few months, the hair came back. Gray, but it came back!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN