Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Love seeing so much support!

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 9 Replies
4 moms liked this
Yesterday I finally got to go see my nephew (born almost 3 weeks ago @28 weeks) in the nicu at MGH in Boston. I just love how baby and breastfeeding friendly they are! They have multiple pumping rooms in the nicu for the moms, they provide the moms with hospital grade pumps while they're there visiting AND they sent my SIL home with her own hospital grade pump! The babies only receive breastmilk, whether it's their mama's milk or donor milk. Unfortunately he has a special heart issue that makes him unable to tolerate the high fat in breastmilk (they even tried "skimming" her milk, but it was still too fatty), so right now he's on a special "low fat" formula, while my SIL pumps and saves for when he cam have it. The nicu nurses are so sweet and treat them with so much love. Oh! And they have a 101 Reasons to Breastfeed poster on the door of the women's restroom in the nicu waiting room, I thought that was so great!
It's just so nice to see a hospital filled with doctors and nurses and LC's who actually care and know what they're doing! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this
That's amazing! Our hospital is baby friendly as well (or I wouldn't have even considered giving birth there). I never even heard the word formula the whole time I was there :) If all hospitals could be like those the bf rate would go up in this country!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I agree! :)
And that's awesome that your hospital was baby friendly! The hospital I delivered dd at was very baby friendly also, they were amazing there.

Quoting Eliots_momma:

That's amazing! Our hospital is baby friendly as well (or I wouldn't have even considered giving birth there). I never even heard the word formula the whole time I was there :) If all hospitals could be like those the bf rate would go up in this country!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow. That's great. A friend of mine had a baby that had to be transferred to a childrens hospital in my city & she pumped for him eventhough they were in 2 different hospitals for a few days. He never got formula. I think thats amazing. I think we all complain about how terrible our pedi's are & how we are not supported but I have to say that breastfeeding has come a long way. I'm reminded of it all the time with my older relatives.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome. Wish all hospitals were that way!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
damselle
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:Unfortunately he has a special heart issue that makes him unable to tolerate the high fat in breastmilk (they even tried "skimming" her milk, but it was still too fatty), so right now he's on a special "low fat" formula, while my SIL pumps and saves for when he cam have it. 

I have never heard of that.  Will he be OK?

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM
His condition is rare, but the Pulmonary doctors are optimistic because he just continues to do so well. He's our super hero :)

Quoting damselle:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:Unfortunately he has a special heart issue that makes him unable to tolerate the high fat in breastmilk (they even tried "skimming" her milk, but it was still too fatty), so right now he's on a special "low fat" formula, while my SIL pumps and saves for when he cam have it. 

I have never heard of that.  Will he be OK?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM

That is so great! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Journeysmama11
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I wish the hospital I was at was more like this. I didn't have any premies but my dd was in nicu for a while and they didn't offer for me to pump and it was 20 hrs before I got to try breastfeeding. :( They said she had to learn to suck, swallow, and breathe at the same time...the nurse just said "similac or enfamil?" ...no offer for a pump even just to get colostrum to feel like I was doing my best. They even told me that because my son was drowsy after his circ that since he wouldn't wake up to nurse I should let them give him a bottle in the nursery!!! GRRR! I said NO and told them he was fine and he would eat when he was hungry...and he did...and was fine! I think it's time to find a new ob and hospital for the next one. I want an experience that's more baby friendly like this!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Aww I'm sorry mama! :(

Quoting Journeysmama11:

I wish the hospital I was at was more like this. I didn't have any premies but my dd was in nicu for a while and they didn't offer for me to pump and it was 20 hrs before I got to try breastfeeding. :( They said she had to learn to suck, swallow, and breathe at the same time...the nurse just said "similac or enfamil?" ...no offer for a pump even just to get colostrum to feel like I was doing my best. They even told me that because my son was drowsy after his circ that since he wouldn't wake up to nurse I should let them give him a bottle in the nursery!!! GRRR! I said NO and told them he was fine and he would eat when he was hungry...and he did...and was fine! I think it's time to find a new ob and hospital for the next one. I want an experience that's more baby friendly like this!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)