Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Guilt ***Updated with pics on page 5***

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 77 Replies

So I am at my wits end with my 5 week old constantly crying, fussing, and not being content. The poor thing wakes up fussing unless I hold him. I can console him, but it's still not normal that I can't lay him down for a minute in his swing or propped up on a pillow without starting to cry. I don't understand. I can't help but think it is my milk. I was so excited to breastfeed this baby and know it's whats best, but I have tried everything in my power to eliminate other things that may cause his fussiness....here is my list.

I have taken him to the chiropractor

tried gripe water

mylicon

I have colic calm coming

I have a baltic amber necklace coming

I have probiotics coming to try

I am literally just on the internet non stop trying to find answers.

Could it be my milk? Could he have a milk allergy or be milk intolerant? What are the chances?

He gets hiccups a ton, has had dhiarrea lately, is having trouble nursing (he only eats for  like 5 mins on one side and then becomes frustrated and falls asleep), and doesn't sleep as well or for long stretches like he would before.

Anyone have any ideas???

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Tongue/lip tie? My ds had one. I got it clipped last Tuesday and from about Saturday on he has been a completely different baby! He was exactly like you are explaining. Now he's all smiles! :) He's 8 weeks btw
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM
2 moms liked this
6 week growth spurt. Atop giving him thing that will hurt his gut (gripe water, ect) and just power through it. Everyone talks about the 3 week growth spurt, but the 6 week one was the worst in my house. Are you changing 6 dirty diapers in 24 hours? A sling is a good investment. Normal healthy babies don't like to be put down.
crazy4u49033
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Possibly reflux?

I will tell you though that most babies want to be held all the time....it doesn't last forever. He might be going through a growth spurt. Invest in a wrap/carrier. I know it's hard, but it will pass. Keep nursing. :)
bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Also, a dairy intolerance is the most common issue aside from lip/tongue tie I've read. Try eliminating dairy from your diet for a few weeks and see if that helps if she's not tied.
slittlefield920
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM

He does have a lip tie, and we are going to the dentist on Tuesday to have the lazer done on it. I know that Lip ties and PTT are common, so I can't wait for our visit on Friday. I just hope it helps......I just want a miracle at this point. I hate seeing my baby like this all day, everyday!

Did your baby have a lip tie?

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Also, a dairy intolerance is the most common issue aside from lip/tongue tie I've read. Try eliminating dairy from your diet for a few weeks and see if that helps if she's not tied.

slittlefield920
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

He has been this way since he was born....believe me I power through it, it's been a very long 5 weeks. But as a mom, I just want to help him in anyway that I can.

Quoting ceckyl:

6 week growth spurt. Atop giving him thing that will hurt his gut (gripe water, ect) and just power through it. Everyone talks about the 3 week growth spurt, but the 6 week one was the worst in my house. Are you changing 6 dirty diapers in 24 hours? A sling is a good investment. Normal healthy babies don't like to be put down.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
6 moms liked this

Some babies are just  high needs. Neither of my twins ever used their swing, bouncy seat, or any other thing like that for more than 30 or 45 seconds without screaming. He sounds pretty much like a normal baby to me. Newborns aren't meant to be away from their mommies. My advice is get a sling! It was a life saver for me!  Also has previously mentioned, 6 weeks is prime growth spurt time. Newborns nurse all the time. Breastmilk is digested quickly and almost completely and they have tiny tummies, so that translates to lots of nursing! Read this artlice on high needs babies by Dr. Sears and see if it sounds familiar.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/high-need-baby/12-features-high-need-baby

SadieJames
by Sarah on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Have you eliminated ALL dairy from your diet? It can take weeks for it to leave your system then a couple to leave his so a total of four to five weeks.  There is a lot of hidden dairy in everything we eat too.  Dairy is the number one culprit.  Followed by gluten then garlic and tomatoes.

the chance of him being allergic to your milk is literally one in a million.  Human milk isn't dairy - it had lactose but not the same as cows milk. Cows milk lactose transfers through our milk and can cause gas and fussiness... So a baby can be allergic to dairy but not to moms milk : )

is he having 6 wet/dirty diapers a day? And five to six weeks was absolutely horrible for us - around seven weeks it started getting better and Lily is 10 weeks tomorrow and its too easy now : )

if I were you I would start with dairy.  Kellymom.com has a cheat sheet of hidden dairy too to help.  Give it time and keep a food log of everything too so if there is a fussy night you may be able to link it to something.  

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/food-sensitivity/

http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/hidden-dairy01.pdf

ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Unless you think he's in pain, he sounds like a pretty normal baby. My youngest is 11 weeks and just getting out of the constant nursing, crying when not held phase.

Quoting slittlefield920:

He has been this way since he was born....believe me I power through it, it's been a very long 5 weeks. But as a mom, I just want to help him in anyway that I can.

Quoting ceckyl:

bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Yes and a posterior tongue tie. We had an ENT do it. The first few days after he was even MORE miserable than before. It was awful and I felt like the worst mom ever. Then all of a sudden Saturday evening and all day sunday he was just...content. His sitter today called me mid-day just to tell me that he is not the same baby she's had for the past couple weeks. He was smiling at her all day! I am SO relieved!

Quoting slittlefield920:

He does have a lip tie, and we are going to the dentist on Tuesday to have the lazer done on it. I know that Lip ties and PTT are common, so I can't wait for our visit on Friday. I just hope it helps......I just want a miracle at this point. I hate seeing my baby like this all day, everyday!

Did your baby have a lip tie?

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)