Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

'Breastfeeding Myths Debunked' - Never wake a sleeping baby

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 180 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today's myth we are debunking is never wake a sleeping baby.

While this myth is partially true-it's not entirely true. Newborns often do not wake themselves when hungry and sometimes they eat for a few seconds and fall right to sleep. Newborn babies should eat at least 8 times a day and sometimes, you need to wake them to feed them.

There are various reasons for newborns not to wake-pain drugs given to moms during labor/delivery, jaundice, trauma, pacifiers, etc. 

Did your nursling need woken up after birth to eat? Do you know of any other reasons why babies should be woken to eat?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Let's not turn this into a circumcision post, but after DS was circumcised is the only time I had to ever wake him to nurse. The reason being was they were afraid his sugar would drop.

Brooked18
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Mine didn't he nursed like a champ.. Even after I had gallbladder surgery and was on pain pills he slept long which was nice so I could sleep but he nursed well
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I woke baby because I didn't like being engorged. Sometimes I just pumped and went back to sleep. I was comcerned about keepinb my supply up, but I knew I needed sleep too, to stay functionally.
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I had to wake mine bc of jaundice! I had to tickle her feet to keep her awake.
mandalyn74
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Mine woke up pretty much when she needed to so I didn't ever have to wake her (except maybe that first day when she was extra sleepy).  However I don't think I would wake a baby just to feed even if they had gone past time to nurse again.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I never woke dd up to nurse. She was having alot of wet/dirty diapers and her weight gain was great, so she slept as much as she wanted. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:36 AM
He woke up enough to nurse after he was born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kfrog13
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Mine was a little sleepy the second and third day, but for the most part he woke and fed often.  He still wakes at least 2 times a night to feed.

I'm pretty sure if they aren't gaining enough in the early months, that you should also wake them if they sleep more than 8 hours.

Mrs.Brugger
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

DD never had to be woken up to eat-she was ready to eat CONSTANTLY lol

emmy526
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM

i would wake mine up because my boobs were full and they had been sleeping for four hours anyways

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)