Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Baby has low Iron?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM
  • 19 Replies

So, I just got back from Elliot's WIC re-certification. Apparently, his iron is low. The WIC nutrisionist suggested starting to feed him more. She said at his age, he should only be nursing 2-3 times per day...which I completely disagree with. She also said that I should start feeding him more iron rich food. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get his iron levels up?

*He is nine months old and nurses at least six-eight times in 24 hrs...usually more though. I feed him jarred baby food or baby rice cereal 1 to 2 times per day. And please, no bashing on how rice cereal/baby food isn't good for baby. I JUST want to know how to help his iron levels come up.*

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, I wouldn't trust the finger prick I'd ask for a blood draw for more accurate results. Having said that, the fake iron in the cereal blocks the absorption of the real iron in your milk and can cause anemia. So *i* would stop the cereal, also try giving baby finger foods high in iron instead of the jarred stuff, only after a full nursing.

BabyFruit Ticker

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly this. Good luck!

Quoting mamabens:

Well, I wouldn't trust the finger prick I'd ask for a blood draw for more accurate results. Having said that, the fake iron in the cereal blocks the absorption of thereal iron in your milk and can cause anemia. So *i* would stop the cereal, also try giving baby finger foods high in iron instead f the jarred stuff, oly after a full nursing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Agreed.

Quoting mamabens:

Well, I wouldn't trust the finger prick I'd ask for a blood draw for more accurate results. Having said that, the fake iron in the cereal blocks the absorption of thereal iron in your milk and can cause anemia. So *i* would stop the cereal, also try giving baby finger foods high in iron instead f the jarred stuff, oly after a full nursing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this

With breastfeeding giving the cereal causes this problem because the fake iron they put in the cereal causes your baby to not absorb iron. So you're shooting yourself in the foot. Don't listen to their advice. You should not cut out any nursing sessions until a year unless you plan to add formula.

Offer dark meat in small chuncks and ditch the jarred food.

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. The nurse person also said to start offering table like food. She said mashed potatoes was a good start. I gave him some cheerios and he actually DIDN'T gag on them. I'll probably have hubby buy some instant mashed potatoes just for Elliot on Thrusday when we take him to the doctor. And as lifeforchrist suggested, the nurse did say to start trying to offer him some soft meat.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I would stop the cereal and see if it improves. Soft meats and sweet potatoes are good to boost iron as well.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Bummer, you got one of the crummy WIC offices that don't know what they're talking about. Primary nutrition the first year should come from breastfeeding, like you already know. I'd dump the *iron fortified* cereal in favor of meats, or throw a good handful of spinach in an iron skillet and wilt the heck out it and mix it with some scrambled eggs or let him eat it as is. Two of my kids love spinach. You are doing better than they're giving you credit for. :-)
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I might just stop the cereal...which is kind of a bummer to me because Elliot LOVES it. Of course, he probably only likes it because I mix my breastmilk into it. lol. Oh! And according to their scale, he is 16 pounds. He is probably closer to 15 and a half pounds though cause they didn't undress him like his regular pedi does. So, he's gained 2 and a half to 3 pounds in 3 months.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Bummer, you got one of the crummy WIC offices that don't know what they're talking about. Primary nutrition the first year should come from breastfeeding, like you already know. I'd dump the *iron fortified* cereal in favor of meats, or throw a good handful of spinach in an iron skillet and wilt the heck out it and mix it with some scrambled eggs or let him eat it as is. Two of my kids love spinach. You are doing better than they're giving you credit for. :-)

CafeMom Tickers
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Limiting him to only nursing 2-3 times a day at his age is a great way to end up with a dehydrated malnourished baby and low supply for you. They clearly have no idea what they're talking about and really should be reported for giving such dangerous advice. Finger pricks are extremely inaccurate, so I'd request an actual blood draw. I know you don't want to discuss the the cereal, but like the others have said, cereal has been known to cause low iron and anemia. He's plenty old for real food, and there's tons of iron rich food he can eat. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I wonder what they mean by low.  Ditch the cereal besides the utter lack of nutrition and nothing but a filler...it can mess with iron absorption.  If he is interested in food...give him table food.  You will be surprised by what they can eat at this age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)